MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Mine is Hunter S. Thompson, he was one of the great American writers of the 20th century, his two most famous books are Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Hells Angels.

yes he is and Fear and Loathing LV should be required reading in college, its one of the best "insane" books every written, next to Catch 22

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#62 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

It's Jim Edmonds grabbing Mike Matheny's crotch why wouldn't I have this as my avatar?

Love it....mine is sometime from the middle of the last decade drinking old style in the bleachers on a good day.

#63 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

edmonds grabbing matheny's nuts is out dusty pulling kerry wood after a typical 188 pitch outing circa 2004 is in

#64 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

Mine is Hunter S. Thompson, he was one of the great American writers of the 20th century, his two most famous books are Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Hells Angels.

yes he is and Fear and Loathing LV should be required reading in college, its one of the best "insane" books every written, next to Catch 22

What makes Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas really great is that it all actually happened. Hunter used to carry a tape recorder around with him wherever he went, like Johnny Depp in the movie, and narrated all of the things he was doing. I have actually listened to the "Gonzo" tapes and they are ridiculous, to say the least...
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#65 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

George "Boomer" Scott was one of my favorite member members of Boston's Impossible Dream year of 1967. Only black face in the pahk, gold tooth in his mouth, second basemen's teeth in his necklace, work ethic and joy in his heart. He was perfect for a little kid falling for the game.

A few years later, when Scott was trying to come back after an injury, my father and I got into a baseball argument at the park. Scott had just walked and Dad said he had looked bad at the plate. I wanted to look on the bright side. I said "That's OK because he didn't make an out. At least the next batter can have a chance now." Dad said, "Son, they call him "Boomer" 'cause he hits 'taters. They don't pay him to walk."

It was the first time I remember trying to talk baseball like a grown-up. And we were both sort of right. I thought it was the right spirit to get started with here.

#66 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Dad said, "Son, they call him "Boomer" 'cause he hits 'taters. They don't pay him to walk."

Awesome.

#67 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thought this could use another push to the top.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#68 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

The avatar needs no explanation, so here it is [grin]... This is actually my third, here on BN... the first was a pic of the neon Cubs sign that hangs on the wall of my office. Unfortunately, when posted on the web, it looked WAAYYY too pink and feminine-like (not that there's anything wrong with that)... so I tried my hand at photoshopping it, trying to make it look less pink... results of which became my second avatar on this site... looked just like the first, but less pink... I didn't really care for that one either, and so I set out a'Googlin' and thought a neon sign might still be appropriate (for several reasons, none of which I can go into here [smile])... so, after a Google search of "Cubs logo neon sign", I thought this one was the coolest... AND it had a reference to beer, which I happen to like (uhh... I mean like the reference to beer AND I like beer), and with Old Style being the offical beer of Wrigley (well, it is for the time being), it just seemed to fit nicely.

As for the handle... BlueHorizons...to me, the name works on several levels... Blue... my favorite color (that's CUBS blue)... also the feeling I get far too frequently when the Cubs lose... Horizons... combined with blue, kind'a (at least to me) implies positive things ahead, like "greener pastures"... also implies that the goal is in sight, just a little ways off... the World Series peeking over the horizon, but VISIBLE! ... BlueHorizons also kind'a reflects on the team name I use for my fantasy baseball team every year, which is CaribbeanBreeze, they just seem to go together... they both make me think of where I plan to retire... in the Caribbean, white sand... turquoise water... blue skies... gentle breeze... and a Cubs game on the radio while I have a beer (from a mug, complete with an umbrella, of course)....

#69 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

I thought, "Bleacher Nation 'is getting broad-minded'" (As Rick said of Captain Renault) when I saw BlueHorizon's very pink early avatar. Like Rick (and possibly Jerry Seinfeld) I didn't think there was anything wrong with that, either. (But, I'm not sure what Rick would think about Brett when Brett's wearing the cat's footy pajamas and squealing "for realsies?".)

Cool handle. Soon I'll see you all standing on that blue horizon celebrating a WS.

#70 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

"Bleacher Nation 'is getting broad-minded'"

"broad-minded" ... reminds me of the conversation that I had with my son last year, when he told us of his plans to move to Spain for six months (where he is currently) in order to study abroad... I asked him, "which one?" He didn't get it. [grin]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).