18 replies to this topic

#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

All this recent talk about Soriano reminds me of a question that has been bugging me the last couple of years. At one time he was known for using one of the heaviest bats in the league. If I'm not mistaken, he is still using the same heavy bat. If this is true, why has Rudy not talked to him about it?

If he is still using a very heavy bat, that would explain why he starts his swing earlier instead of waiting back a little to help identify the pitch. I'm guessing this huge chunk of lumber is damn near impossible to check on a swing as well. This could all go to help explain why he looks so helpless against breaking balls out of the zone.

Is this just my imagination, or does any of this make sense?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

That's been bothering me for a while.. I wonder if he'd use a lighter bat if he'd make more contact.. his power could go down a bit, but I think we'd all agree that we'd rather him hit .275 with 20hrs as opposed to .240 with 25-30 each year.

#3 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

His HR's might not go down. If he bumps his average up that means hes making more contact and is more likely to run into a few more long balls. I would be glad if he hits more doubles and actually runs to the base instead of standing there waiting on the ball to land.

#4 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

His HR's might not go down. If he bumps his average up that means hes making more contact and is more likely to run into a few more long balls. I would be glad if he hits more doubles and actually runs to the base instead of standing there waiting on the ball to land.

Did you refer to Soriano with the word "run"? Twice?

#5 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

maybee it would cause the other team to actually throw him a strike. that might make his HRs go up.
never mind this talk, lets just move him far, far, away

#6 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

Did you refer to Soriano with the word "run"? Twice?

I'm a dreamer.

#7 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

This is one of the things that fire me up the most during games. My wife loves it. I totally lose my shit sometimes yelling at Soriano about his bat. Not even kidding. I'm glad I don't have to scream at Quade this season. Or Pena for taking so much damn time between pitches.

Should have seen me when Theriot started swinging for the fences. Or after watching Derrick Lee hit into another double play.

I wish I had this kind of passion for more important things.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#8 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

This is one of the things that fire me up the most during games. My wife loves it. I totally lose my shit sometimes yelling at Soriano about his bat. Not even kidding. I'm glad I don't have to scream at Quade this season. Or Pena for taking so much damn time between pitches.

Should have seen me when Theriot started swinging for the fences. Or after watching Derrick Lee hit into another double play.

I wish I had this kind of passion for more important things.

I loved watching Pena make the pitchers wait. You know it had to piss them off.

#9 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

Soriano strikes me as the type of player who will stubbornly ignore Rudy's advice and do whatever the hell he wants anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've screamed at the TV watching Sori flail at a pitch down around the top of his cleat for strike 3. Shit, if he's in an 0-2 count, the pitcher could roll the damn ball on the ground and he'd still swing at it.

And I also used to scream at the TV when the game would start out exactly like this:

Soriano strikes out on 3 straight
Theroit hits a jizzer into RF for a single
DLee grounds into a double play to end the inning

So very very frustrating and I'm sure my neighbors didn't appreciate all the yelling I did at the TV.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#10 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Theroit hits a jizzer into RF for a single

A jizzer? HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Ms. Katie, other than my wife, you might be the coolest chick in the world.

#11 Sweet James Jones

Sweet James Jones

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitter:SweetJJ1s
  • Facebook:Clay Dodson
  • LocationCookeville, Tennessee

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

His bat reminds me of the Looney Toon cartoon where Bugs Bunny has to face an entire baseball team himself. One of the huge players is batting with a tree (I think). Makes me giggle.
Betternews is a Bitterbitch

#12 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

His bat reminds me of the Looney Toon cartoon where Bugs Bunny has to face an entire baseball team himself. One of the huge players is batting with a tree (I think). Makes me giggle.

It's so sad how dead on accurate that is.

#13 Sweet James Jones

Sweet James Jones

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitter:SweetJJ1s
  • Facebook:Clay Dodson
  • LocationCookeville, Tennessee

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Posted Image

Bat in question?
Betternews is a Bitterbitch

#14 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Soriano strikes me as the type of player who will stubbornly ignore Rudy's advice and do whatever the hell he wants anyway.

That's about right, players are crazy stubborn

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#15 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Ahhh, the message boards. I like them better already - thanks for the advice MichiganGoat!

I for one, have always been a Soriano fan - not so much because of his stats, but I do like him as a person from what I've seen. Everything I've read about him says he's a real positive influence in the clubhouse, and you never really hear much about him complaining (though I think he was a little upset when he got bumped in the lineup). I am curious to see if he sticks with the team if he makes a stink if he starts getting benched in order to play some of the young kids.

Having said all that, I am still of the hope that they can find a buyer for him, though I can't imagine anyone taking 3 years left of a 36 year old player. Stranger things have happened, though, and this would be the strangest. And yes - I would take Brian Roberts for Soriano and cash, but if that happened, I would hope it would only be because they think it would be easier to then move Brian Roberts. I'm not sure that's the case, however. Ahh, time will tell. Something tells me they'll find a way to get Soriano moved, though. I'm really excited with what I've seen so far, so looking forward to more of the same!
- diehard fanclub member #002

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).