Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Cubs Trade that you were most excited about...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ralph

Ralph

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

The recent trades have got me thinking about the Cubs trades that I was most stoked about... I mean really, really excited about. I have only been following the Cubs since 1986, but 2 come to mind immediately.
1. Nomar
2. Fred McGriff

I was insanely excited to land both of these dudes... especially after those stale years from 1990 through 2000... with the exception of the miracle year in '98.

Which of these 2 were you most happy about (Nomar vs. Crime Dog)?
Any others come to mind?

#2 Ashley

Ashley

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:CubsFan1023
  • Facebook:Ashley Bolton
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

I was pretty young when the Cubs got the Crime Dog so I don't remember when he was acquired but I was so excited when we got Nomar! Just wish we had him in his prime years!

#3 Coach Harris

Coach Harris

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Nomar...hands down.

I still remember where I was and exactly what I was doing when I found out.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Um I was extremely excited when we got Kenny Lofton and I remember the excitement over the Sutcliffe trade. I was surprised by the Nomar trade but I remember thinking that it just was going to live up to the hype.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

My wife and I were staying at a hotel for our Anniversary a few years ago. Flipped on the tv and BAM! Cubs get Rich Harden!!! I know it didn't end up being a big success or anything, but I've always been a big fan of his. Most people love homeruns, I love seeing filthy strikeouts.

Getting Nomar was pretty cool too. Gotta love NO-MAH!!!
- die hard fanclub member #001

#6 Ralph

Ralph

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Should have held onto Lofton beyond '03!!

#7 Still Love the Cubs

Still Love the Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

Nomar...hands down.

I still remember where I was and exactly what I was doing when I found out.

That's hilarious. I still remember where I was too. I was pulling out of the parking lot of the hospital where my wife's grandma was about to pass away. We had been spending a ton of time up there and it was nice to flip on the radio and hear some good news!!

I thought I was the only would who would remember exactly where I was when I heard.

#8 BFiddy

BFiddy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Twitter:Bridger_Macau
  • Facebook:Bridger Fetters
  • LocationMacau

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

Fred McGriff...the only trade the Cubs could have made that would have been more exciting (for me personally) during the last ten years would have been to acquire Omar Vizquel in his prime...
And that's a bad miss...

#9 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

Nomar. Mainly because it seemed like the Cubs had arrived with the big boys at that point.. We had just been on the brink of the World Series and had an even better team on paper in '04. Adding Nomar told me the Cubs were going all out for a title run. I went to several games that summer...Wrigley was electric!! Too bad it didn't work out.

#10 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

I remember being completely shocked that they pulled off the Nomar trade.

And then I remember being completely un-shocked that he was injured for most of the following season.

#11 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Nomar. Excited? Stunned. When Theo sent him to Chicago, folks walked around New England in a daze, literally. There was no prior sporting experience to put this in perspective. Pretty sure Theo was pretty freaked out by what he had just done, too.

Made my only trip to Chicago (cousin's wedding) and had to see Nomar in his new digs. He was so great to watch at the park field. I loved the way he tapped his toes before every pitch while on defense (you can't see this from home: only his batters box tics are seen on TV), and I saw that concentration translated into some of the most memorable plays/victories.

Got great tickets at Wrigley just by walking up to the gate and asking. (Good seats became more important when my uncle got seats from Crane K, and turned it into a bit of a pissing contest. I don't like pissing contests, but it is worse losing them.)

The window ticket guy said "How's the first row sound?" I said "They sound like the best." They were. Right at the home on-deck circle! There was some trouble when a delinquent behind me said something and Nomar thought it was me. Those seats were CLOSE and Nomar is BIG...

On the way back to the hotel on the "El" people were asking my girlfriend about the game (Cubs beat the Astros--I'm 1-0 at Wrigley) because she had her Boston hat on. They thanked us for sending Nomar. (They were so friendly that I thought they were hitting on her at first. In Boston we don't even make eye contact on the T).

I am also excited about the latest trade. Boston' ll give you a blue chip GM and some other front office/scout types for...

#12 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

The Kenny Lofton/Aramis Ramirez trade is easily my favorite. Together, with Randall Simon, they turned the Cubs offense into a completely different team. That was a fun season, and everyone knew that they got away with grand larceny.

#13 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

It wasn't a trade, but the Cubs' acquisition of Gary Gaetti in August 1998 (after the Cards dumped him) was huge, huge, huge. They'd have missed the Wild Card without him.

#14 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Ron Cey for Luis Quinones. Blockbuster.

I'm really just trying to bump my post totals so I can get to be a Bleacher Bum. This "I'm New" status has GOT - TO - GO!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#15 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Ron Cey for Luis Quinones. Blockbuster.

I'm really just trying to bump my post totals so I can get to be a Bleacher Bum. This "I'm New" status has GOT - TO - GO!

Just wait 'til the game day threads start up again. You'll be a Bleacher Jedi in no time. I think MG had like 600 posts in one night last September...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).