The Dark Horse

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:MattWolbrink
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

A question I have been wondering is why haven't we shown any interest in Casey Kotchman?

Rizzo is obviously not going to be ready April 1st, and each day that goes by it seems less and less the opportunity to sign Fielder. Last year Kotchman had an impressive .306/.378 line last year, and for you Bill James fanatics had a higher WAR than Carlos Pena. We could sign him to a 1 year 3 million dollar deal today, and that would be a great value sign / band-aid to allow Rizzo another year to develop.
Theo 3:16

#2 CubbieFaithful

CubbieFaithful

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEast Peoria, Illinois

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

1. I don't know if Kotchman would take that one year deal. I mean he's 28 so I would imagine he would want some of the security of a multi-year deal.
2. From everything I read Theo and Co. seem perfectly happy with Lahair breaking camp at first.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

I think that, given the Cubs' approach to 2012 (rebuild, low chance of competitiveness), they probably don't want to spend even $3 million on a low upside guy like Kotchman, at a position they can try and give LaHair a shot (even if Kotchman is much more of a sure thing than LaHair).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).