Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

Dear Mr. Epstein,

Most of us Cub fans have given you a blank check. Ramirez-good riddance! Big Z-Adios! Kerry Wood? No. If this is not made to work you will have your first serious strike against you in many of our eyes.

I realize I am the same guy who has constantly stressed in his posts that Cub fans get too attached to players, and that leads to disappointment. Kerry Wood transcends this. This is a guy who has been the consumate teammate. A guy who has sacrificed his own salary TWICE because he felt he owed the Cubs. Last year alone, he left an estimated 8 million on the table from other teams offers, because his love for the Cubs.

Yes he has an injury plagued past. The first of which can be traced back to his high school coach pitching him twice in one day. Further injuries were from the innings piled up during our rare drives to glory. He and Prior were sacrificed for 2003. What I am trying to say, is that he is not injury prone, he has used up most of the bullets in his right arm for us.

In a clubhouse void of leadership, we need him. Culture change is needed, but Kerry Wood is not part of the culture that needs changing. Let's hope cooler heads prevail soon. Honeymoons don't last forever, even for the Theotles.

#2 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Couldn't agree more. Kerry Wood is a guy that brings all kinds of intangibles to a team. He can be the leader of the clubhouse, the perfect teammate and so many other great things that aren't seen on a stat sheet. I really hope Theo keeps him, but I understand the decision if he doesn't.

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm with ya. I love Woodie, and will be VERY sad if he isn't a Cub this year! I think he's someone that is a coach for us in the future.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#4 Ashley

Ashley

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:CubsFan1023
  • Facebook:Ashley Bolton
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth!

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

"Kerry Wood is different" pretty much sums it up for me. We all want a winner, and maybe re-signing Kerry Wood is slightly antithetical to that goal. But, as you perfectly said, Kerry Wood is different.

#6 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

agreed, Woody could be a great presence in a young pen. Plus he might be able to teach some of the youngsters how to throw Mo Riviera cutters from his time in NY

#7 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

WE WANT WOOD!

I mean we want Kerry Wood.

Geez perverts.

#8 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

I honestly don't see what the hold up is. The Cubs obviously have extra payroll room to give him an extra million or two over the next two years. Hoyer said that they offered him a substantial raise. I am wondering what he meant by "substantial"?

#9 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

I honestly don't see what the hold up is. The Cubs obviously have extra payroll room to give him an extra million or two over the next two years. Hoyer said that they offered him a substantial raise. I am wondering what he meant by "substantial"?

If Wood wants to be a Cub and Hoyer wants him to be a Cub, then the only thing is the 40 man roster situation.

Unless Kerry is receiving really good offers from other teams, that is the only thing I can think of.

#10 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

Don't you guys think they're just playing this up for the convention? Everything they've been saying is so pro-Wood, I can't imagine him not returning.

#11 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

I think you may be right.....kerry Wood may be the Convention Surprise.....they don't have much else as far as players to excite everybody....I don't think the intros of David deJesus or Ian Stewart will bring the house down..

#12 The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:MattWolbrink
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Kerry Wood will be a Cub this year, I am not sweating it. After reading this thread it all makes sense to hold off the announcement until the convention.
Theo 3:16

#13 Ralph

Ralph

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

I wonder what the difference between the two sides is money-wise? Are they really that far apart on salary discussions?

#14 coachhurry

coachhurry

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hello fellow Cubs fans and thanks to Brett for creating this venue for us. I am 38 yrs old currently a season ticket holder and been a Cubs fan pretty much since birth. I like Kerry Wood and like most on this thread would like to see him back in 2012. But I don't understand the infatuation with him. Here is a guy that never once in his career won 15 games. Greg Maddux won at least 15 games 15 years in a row! But yet we have a KW flag that flies on our rooftop at Wrigley Field. I ask why? Because he pitched 1 good game as a rookie in 1998? Well he also flopped in game 7 of the 2003 NLCS and has been on the disabled list too many times. In saying all this I would like to see him back only for the reason that I feel he makes us a better team by having him in the bullpen not because I "like" him. Anyway I really do like the approach and the moves The and Jed have been making. And it won't be long before we do have a Wood that will win 15 games in a season. Except his name is Travis and not Kerrry. Go Cubs in 2012 and beyond!!

#15 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

I don't understand the infatuation with him.

We love Kerry Wood, because Kerry Wood loves us, man! Loyalty works two ways, and who is more loyal than a Cubs fan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).