#1 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Spring Training starts on Mar. 4. My question is, who will still be shipped out before that date.

Here's my list of probables, most likely, and don't let the door hit you in the ass:

Ryan Dempster - I think he's gone at the trade deadline.
Matt Garza - He's gone before Spring to the Tigers.
Carlos Marmol - Trade deadline.
Marcos Mateo - Gone by this weekend one way or another.
Randy Wells - Trade deadline. Replaced with younger talent.
Geovany Soto - Trade deadline. Replaced with younger talent.
Jeff Baker - Gone at the end of the year.
Bryan LaHair - End of Year.
Marlon Byrd - Spring. Red Sox?
Alfonso Soriano - Spring. Please take him Orioles.

I dunno. I just see a huge youth movement, and these guys are all on the old side of the roster.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

I think Mateo and Wells will be gone. They are going to have open the 40 man spot for Wood if he re-signs, and Maholm already put them at 41.

I don't think Garza is going to be traded. The Cubs asking price is currently higher than teams are going to pay, I think. Waiting to either trade him at the deadline or lock him up long term seems like a better option than settling for a lesser package.
I think we are just entering the time for Soriano's market to open up. When most free agents sign, and teams are looking to fill holes, he's going to get some interest.

#3 The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:MattWolbrink
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

What is the latest on Garza and Soto to the Yankees for Montero and that Righty Goliath 22 year old starter they have. Sabathia 2.0 is what I believe his name is.
Theo 3:16

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

I haven't seen a peep anywhere about the Yankees. If you have any links you can share, that would be most awesome!

I don't think the Cubs are looking to deal Soto right now, though. I would think that he might be in danger of being traded at the trade deadline, but if I were in their shoes, I'd give him a shot to start off hot (based on his past good performance on even numbered years). If he does well, his stock goes up, and they can get more for him. Maybe at that point we have someone ready to replace him.
- diehard fanclub member #002

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).