#1 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

Ok, I've noticed an ugly trend in my behavior lately - all I can do is be sarcastic to the negative nancies on the main board. I really do love the Cubs and love to share positive hope for the future and recently it just seems like I can't do that because I'm too focused on the douchebags who only see the dark side of everything Cubs.

I am making a covenant with myself to ignore the naysayers, moaners, bitchers, and whiners, and to only spend time conversing with those of you that want to have a real conversation. Now I'm not saying it's wrong to say you don't agree with a move and point out the reasons you don't agree with it. What I am saying is if you can't see the value of a fan favorite like Kerry Wood, or remember the good with the bad when it comes to guys like Sori, or basically find any good in any move the Cubs ever make - well, I just won't have much time for you.

Rest assured, Tom Ricketts is not cheap, Theo Epstein is not stupid, and the team we have assembled will not lose 100 games. And even if they do, we certainly can't know that right now. I can't imagine what it's like as a fan to be so miserable that you've already completely given up on the team prior to spring training.

Anyhow - I need you folks to keep me honest on this promise. If you see me making sarcastic comments to the cheery chestertons and happy harolds of the board, call me out and tell me to stop!

GO CUBS! Spring training hasn't even started - my pre-season prediction for the club is 162-0 and a World Series win.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

I pledge to virtually bitch slap you if you engage the asshats on the main site.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

Good for you Tommy. I will have no problem picking up where you left off and I promise you, I will still be happy to tell people to blow it out their asses.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

It's good to have friends.

I love you guys! :wub:

#5 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

I also tell myself to ignore them, but the booze keeps bringing me back. I just try saving the negative stuff for later in the night when the respectable folk are gone for the evening. Keep it clean during the day. But at night, it's game on.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#6 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

Dr. Vaughn and Mr. Hyde.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#7 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

I agree. Obviously it's much more positive during the day. And then, the freaks come out at night.

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

I also tell myself to ignore them, but the booze keeps bringing me back. I just try saving the negative stuff for later in the night when the respectable folk are gone for the evening. Keep it clean during the day. But at night, it's game on.

Same here, what I hate is that my comments are more and more snarky... Bitches get under my skin

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

diehard needs to die...hard.

#10 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Thing about Dick Tidrow's uncle, die hard, is that he never picks fights, never gets snide, and never insults anyone. Which is a lot more than can be said for ... other people out front. In fact, if you look at his posting history, you'll see very few follow-up comments. Most of his posts are top-level, and if he does reply to a comment, it's 90% of the time it's a response to someone who replied to his initial comment. Although, I do wonder if he's been emboldened of late....

Maybe I'm a bit inured to his inanity at this point. Don't get me wrong, I think there are plenty of times that he throws shit at the wall just to see what sticks, and plenty of other times that he makes comments just to get a rise out of people. (A lot like my father-in-law, to be honest.) But I think he's been around long enough that we can see that he doesn't have any malicious intent. He says his peace -- as obtuse/nonsensical/infuriating as it may be -- and lets it lie.

#11 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

Couldn't agree more TWC. Die hard seems to be rather harmless. Annoying and full of crazy ideas like moving Soriano to 1st? Without a doubt, but like TWC said, he never really seems to be insulting or calls anyone out.

#12 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Remember when he was the worst troll on the site...I miss those days.

#13 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

And, really, the Series She-Views are coming up soon, so we don't have much to worry about for too long.

(Actually, what I'm worried about it that ol' Ace kills the She-Views, as their (arguable) juvenility may clash with his desire to be more 'serious'. Such is life.)

#14 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Thing about Dick Tidrow's uncle, die hard, is that he never picks fights, never gets snide, and never insults anyone. Which is a lot more than can be said for ... other people out front. In fact, if you look at his posting history, you'll see very few follow-up comments. Most of his posts are top-level, and if he does reply to a comment, it's 90% of the time it's a response to someone who replied to his initial comment. Although, I do wonder if he's been emboldened of late....

Maybe I'm a bit inured to his inanity at this point. Don't get me wrong, I think there are plenty of times that he throws shit at the wall just to see what sticks, and plenty of other times that he makes comments just to get a rise out of people. (A lot like my father-in-law, to be honest.) But I think he's been around long enough that we can see that he doesn't have any malicious intent. He says his peace -- as obtuse/nonsensical/infuriating as it may be -- and lets it lie.

Thanks for calling me out as I requested. I have adjusted my mood and behavior as much as possible. Let's see if I can maintain. Something about talking Cubs brings out the worst in me!

#15 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

That's what a 30 pack of Natty Ice will do to a man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).