MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

So I consider myself a novice when it comes to using sabermetrics and stats to evaluate players. I typically combine what I see on the field with what I see in the stats. I typically have looked at OPS as a measure to compare a players value, but I know there are other possibly better metrics I should be looking at. I've paid attention to WAR but I just don't know if its all that accurate.

So what metrics to you look at? Which ones do see has having value? Which ones do you think are flawed?

Posted Image

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

Defensive metrics suck.

That is all.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

Also, I have trouble completely trusting proprietary stats like WAR, where the inputs aren't 100% known (case in point, the WAR values on Baseball Reference and Fangraphs are different - sometimes by a considerable amount).

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

Sabermetrics are great for fan talk and speculation on player performance, and I think it's a huge mistake for any front office to ignore them. I agree with Brett, defensive metrics are garbage and don't take variables into consideration. I like to look at a players' BABIP, late inning pressure situation stats, and runs created when I don't quite buy that he is having a breakout year or to see if they are in decline.

#5 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

I like ERA+ and BABIP. I also frequently compare RISP avg. to other batting averages... like overall and avg. with nobody on.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#6 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

Also, I have trouble completely trusting proprietary stats like WAR, where the inputs aren't 100% known (case in point, the WAR values on Baseball Reference and Fangraphs are different - sometimes by a considerable amount).

If I remember correctly, BR and Fangraphs use different formulas, one of which includes UZR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).