#1 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

What are your thoughts on the changes to the Right Field Bleachers? Personally I will reserve judgment until I can see the final product, but initially the concept seems to make sense considering that section of bleacher seats was never as popular as the general admission bleacher seats. Last year those seats were nearly empty most games. Now there will be a new option to see stats and new revenue source for the Cubs. I don't think this change will increase or decrease my enjoyment of a ballgame at Wrigley.

Changes take place all the time and I think people tend to freak out when they are first announced but as long as they are planned out well it should have minimal impact on the viewing experience. A few thoughts for the "traditionalists" that argue Wrigley should be kept in its original format...

- The park originally only had 14,000 seats.
- The park added an upper deck in 1927. Talk about a major change. How many angry posts would have been submitted on Bleacher Nation if this change was announced?
- The Scoreboard and Ivy weren't added until 1937. Imagine the outrage when this monstrous scoreboard dared to disrupt beautiful Wrigley Field
- There wasn't a night game until 1988. Baseball at night??? That is crazy talk
- 2005 the bleachers were completely redone. I remember seeing the construction project that winter and thinking they were going to ruin Wrigley. They didn't.

Tons of changes over the years boys and girls. This one probably won't even be an afterthought in 2013.

#2 Ashley

Ashley

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:CubsFan1023
  • Facebook:Ashley Bolton
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

I believe all the changes will be great for the team and bring the ball park a more modern feel. The only thing that I didn't like was the new scoreboard. I am a huge fan of the by hand old-fashion scoreboard and I really don;t want it replaced. I want Wrigley to be more modern but not lose what makes it unique at the same time!

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

I'm with you, Robbo.

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Robbo - that was an outstanding post! Great facts on there!

I for one love Wrigley and have great memories of going there as a kid with my dad. That being said, I'd tear down Wrigley in a heartbeat if it meant a World Series win for my Cubbies. I'm a fan of the team more than the stadium, but still, it would be nice to maintain as much of the old park feel while still getting much needed updates to make it a nicer ballpark. As for the changes that will bring in more revenue goes, my feeling is if they put that money back into making the team better, than go for it!

On a side note, I think it's a travesty that the Cubs are the only privately funded stadium that has to pay a tax on ticket sales. If that wasn't the case, you have to wonder if some of these changes would be happening. I still think it's going to be cool, anyhow!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#5 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

I like the new bleacher section, and I think it's going to add to the unique look of Wrigley. I like that Ricketts, and yes Crane Kenney, are looking outside of the box for ways to generate more revenue. I also think it's a travesty that the Cubs are held hostage by the city of Chicago and the Wrigley neighborhood, while the White Sox waste away tax payer money on an empty stadium and crappy restaurants. I seriously think that the Ricketts need to start looking for a large parcel of land to buy somewhere outside of the Chicago city limits to at least threaten to build a huge Cubs baseball complex/headquarters. Somewhere large enough, and convenient enough that they could build a stadium there. I think just the threat of this would put the scare into some politicians to give the Cubs some help with improving the stadium and facilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).