9 replies to this topic

#1 JacobCubsfan

JacobCubsfan

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Just a curiousity thing, what current/former cubs have you met that have been nice or mean? I met a lot of Cubs players within the past few years and the nicer ones have been Ryan Dempster, Starlin Castro, and Andrew Cashner. The only one that I met that really was not too nice was Carlos Zambrano, which did not really suprise me.

#2 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

The only pro athlete I've ever met in person was Mike Marshall (Dodgers) when I was a kid. My dad and I got to walk into the players tunnel at Wrigley with him back in the day, and he gave me a ball signed by the entire Dodgers team. Was pretty awesome, and he was a very nice guy. Never had the chance to meet any Cubbies, so I'm a little envious of you.

Out of curiosity, what did Z do that wasn't nice? I'm a little surprised to hear that because he always seemed like a pretty good natured guy when he was getting blown up on the mound.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#3 JacobCubsfan

JacobCubsfan

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Just came off as rude and he was not very friendly.

#4 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:34 AM

Timing is everything.
A friend and I blew off everything to go to Mark Prior's first start at Iowa. After he hit two homeruns and pitched almost lights out, he was relieved. AS he walked down the side of the field to get to the clubhouse, a fan came down to the edge of the seats with a pen and ball asking Prior to sign. Prior never acknowledged the fan. My friend says to me, "Man, Prior's kind of a dick." I explained how the fan was out of line for asking at that point in the game.
I have no idea when you approached Z or anything, but I was reminded of this story.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

I've heard repeatedly that Dempster is one of the nicest guys you'll meet.

#6 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

I've heard repeatedly that Dempster is one of the nicest guys you'll meet.

I've heard that too. I love his Harry Caray impression and his practical jokes are hilarious. He seems to be a great teammate.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#7 Sweet James Jones

Sweet James Jones

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitter:SweetJJ1s
  • Facebook:Clay Dodson
  • LocationCookeville, Tennessee

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

The Cub formerly known as Tyler Colvin was hella nice and a cool guy. Brett Jackson was nice as well but very quiet.
Betternews is a Bitterbitch

#8 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

Just a curiousity thing, what current/former cubs have you met that have been nice or mean? I met a lot of Cubs players within the past few years and the nicer ones have been Ryan Dempster, Starlin Castro, and Andrew Cashner. The only one that I met that really was not too nice was Carlos Zambrano, which did not really suprise me.

That is too bad that you have that impression of Carlos. I have had the chance to meet him on two occasions. Once as a minor leaguer and once as a big leaguer. Both times he was very nice.

#9 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

I will always remember when my dad and I got the (very brief) chance to meet Ron Santo, and, surprise, surprise, he was incredibly nice.

#10 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

I got a chance to meet Ron once, and you are correct he was very nice!
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).