TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm fully justified in booting him based on what happened with the Boys of Spring voting. That was really, really malicious and personal, and now he comes back, and pretends to be someone else?

Why would I let someone like that stick around, especially when they're simply annoying everyone else?

Well, um, FUCK YEAH!

#227 Njriv

Njriv

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/#!/nowahhh
  • Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/nowah25
  • LocationGlendale Heights, Illinois

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm fully justified in booting him based on what happened with the Boys of Spring voting. That was really, really malicious and personal, and now he comes back, and pretends to be someone else?

Why would I let someone like that stick around, especially when they're simply annoying everyone else?

I'm sorry but what happened during the Boys of Spring voting? I recently discovered BN at the end of last season.

#228 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:23 PM

Well the Boys of Spring was the blog that that gave Brett the award of "Best Blog Ever" (not sure what the exact title was). It was voted on by fans and had a comment section- which became riddled with BetterNews (under the name northside) he attacked Brett personally by attacking his career as a lawyer and his wife. Brett is very forgiving but it's reached another level again

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#229 Njriv

Njriv

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/#!/nowahhh
  • Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/nowah25
  • LocationGlendale Heights, Illinois

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Doesn't surprise me. Him and Cubs1967 really get underneath my skin.

#230 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

The only thing I have to say is that if you do decide to ban him, don't tell anyone - even us regulars. He has befriended some people on the main board and I believe they would get a little pissy if they find out. No reason to broadcast the information and chance inflaming the situation further. People may just think he's gone away, and that's much better than publicly announcing his ban. And if you ban him and he comes back again, just do it again before it gets to this level.

#231 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

The only thing I have to say is that if you do decide to ban him, don't tell anyone - even us regulars. He has befriended some people on the main board and I believe they would get a little pissy if they find out. No reason to broadcast the information and chance inflaming the situation further. People may just think he's gone away, and that's much better than publicly announcing his ban. And if you ban him and he comes back again, just do it again before it gets to this level.

This.

#232 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

This.

That does seem to work well for a lot of other sites. The "We don't discuss any moderation decision" approach can frustrate the living crap out of some people... but those are often the people who want to know what the line is so they can tip-toe right up to the edge of it and then spout legalistic nonsense when they get smacked down.

#233 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Agree don't say anything

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#234 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Brett, I've been around BN for a long time and this guy is the worst thing to happen to the main page that I can remember. Even worse than the comment system crashing the site. He makes it where I don't even want to bother reading through the comments when I have to see that he's made the same negative comments on every thread you put up, even if they aren't the same topic. I don't really advocate banning people or setting examples, but this guy just seems to give confidence to the other obnoxious people who won't normally post obnoxious comments in a normal conversation. He makes reading the comments pointless because all of the attention goes from the Cubs to him every time he posts. I say you are totally justified, and the fact that he attacked you personally makes me wonder why you gave him a second chance at all. I think you have the support of all of your regular readers here.

#235 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Your royal highness is exactly why sometimes it's just best to ban asshats. It's one thing if a person makes one ridiculous comment a day it's not a problem (I.e, cubfan1967 or diehard) but when he monopolizes the board and acts like a asshat every single minute and refuses to have a serious dicussion - it infects the entire board and makes BN look like the majority of Cub blogs. Just ban people like this without comment and make sure these people do not throw the site into a place nobody wants to visit.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#236 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

So I just replied to BetterNews and this is the last time I'm responding to him until something changes. I think this is a clear, constructive response that says exactly what we all feel:

"Ok BetterNews I want to calmly and clearly state why so many of us are on your case about your “crystal ball” and the nature of your posts.

1-To say Garza should not be moved because it makes sense is a perfect response that many of us can agree. Garza is a top pitcher that makes the Cubs better, no doubt. But until this post you always said it in a indisputable, totalitarian manner. “Write it down Garza will not be traded” and similar definitive response are unjustifiable. Theo himself has said the Cubs are listening and the national media has confirmed that talks have happened, yet you continue to post daily on multiple occasions that Garza will absolutely not be traded.

2-If we challenge you, you be combative. Why? Most of us encourage civil debate but you seem to want people to agree with you and when challenged you pout and get angry. Instead of becoming hostile clearly give your reasons and avoid getting aggressive and personal.

3-We are hard on you because you continue to avoid civil discourse and talk in absolutes.

I am done trying to engage you until you make an effort to be more civil, and I and many of us will actively ignore you if you continue to make unconfirmed absolute statements. You are welcome to be here, and I (and many of us here) wish you see this critism as constructive.

Take care."

MG, I have heard this from you before. Please follow your advice this time and ignore him.

#237 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

And if he comes back and it's clearly him, then just do it again and avoid this protracted discussion that makes everyone pissed off for weeks. It's not worth it.

And, I think that it is our duty as regulars to avoid him altogether. It's very hard to do, and I've succumbed to engaging him in conversations a few times because he so easily gets under people's skin, and I can't really fault others for doing it either. But, the best thing to do is ignore him. And I think that includes not telling people who he is, what he's done, and not encouraging other people to ignore him as well. All that does is just give credibility to his existence, and then prompts him to respond with some nonsensical rambling about how he doesn't know what you're talking about and why everyone hates him. Complete, 100% avoidance is the best way to go if Brett doesn't decide to drop the hammer.

#238 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

BANHAMMER-TIME! Can't touch this.

#239 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

I agree guys but here's the rub, if we ignore him and just allow him to be him - everyone else starts to think this is acceptable behavior and how this site operates. I will not respond to him. I really think the best thing in all this is for Brett to start to ban people like him with out comment or discussion. Allowing him or others to continue to post is a major mistake and will lead to myself and others (we've already lost some good posters) to avoid the main page.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#240 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

you make a good point MG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).