Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hi. First time poster here...

Ace, why is it that of all the websites that I waste time on while I'm supposed to be working, BN is the one that most frequently stalls? I mean there is a noticeable lag before the page begins to load. This doesn't seem to happen on any other site, or at least not as regularly as it does here. FWIW, I notice this at home and on my phone, too.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Ace, why is it that of all the websites that I waste time on while I'm supposed to be working, BN is the one that most frequently stalls? I mean there is a noticeable lag before the page begins to load. This doesn't seem to happen on any other site, or at least not as regularly as it does here. FWIW, I notice this at home and on my phone, too.

My best guess is because BN is the smallest shop you visit (with heavy traffic) and can't afford the kind of hosting other big boys have (yet - which, obviously, is a kind of chicken and the egg problem). The lag is basically a product of a whole bunch of server requests hitting at the same time, and the small server I can afford taking a long time to process the requests.

I'm glad to hear the feedback, but I'm doing the best I can with it. My apologies.

#3 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

My best guess is because BN is the smallest shop you visit (with heavy traffic) and can't afford the kind of hosting other big boys have (yet - which, obviously, is a kind of chicken and the egg problem). The lag is basically a product of a whole bunch of server requests hitting at the same time, and the small server I can afford taking a long time to process the requests.

I'm glad to hear the feedback, but I'm doing the best I can with it. My apologies.

Pretty much what I figured. Glad to have confirmation-ish on it.

Do I smell a Blog-A-Thon 2.0 on the offing?!

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

Pretty much what I figured. Glad to have confirmation-ish on it.

Do I smell a Blog-A-Thon 2.0 on the offing?!

With a higher donation limit!

In all seriousness, this is absolutely something I'm exploring (improving site performance, that is). It's just a slow process given my other time needs, and my VERY limited understanding of how to manage a server.

#5 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Also first time poster here, just thought I might let you know.

I love your site Brent or is it Bert?(Haha).

#6 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

I think that once I get an idea of what my 2011 bonus will be, I'll have to seriously consider contemplating donating a chunk to BN.

#7 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:45 AM

I know my work performance is directly tied to BN. That being said, Brett I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for my bonus to come through.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#8 Evolution

Evolution

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

I would like to be the host...and will break into racking sobs with every turn of the tally board.

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

I did some serious tinkering, so please let me know if you notice any difference over the next week or so.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

Ok, I've done a shitton more tinkering behind the scenes, and the blog should now be loading lightning fast. If it's not, let me know.

#11 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Soooo fast! This means trouble. It used to be that I would try and actually do some work while I waited for the page to load... and even then I struggled to complete a sentence out of a book before turning back to BN.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

It seems speedier. I also changed my DNS registry to different servers recently, and I wonder if that has made a difference.

#13 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

It seems speedier. I also changed my DNS registry to different servers recently, and I wonder if that has made a difference.

Maybe. Thought the host is in California, so, in that regard, yours should be the zippiest of all.

(For what it's worth, I was doing additional testing in the last 30 minutes, so don't base any judgments on now).

#14 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

(For what it's worth, I was doing additional testing in the last 30 minutes, so don't base any judgments on now).

Man, this site is the slowest EVAR.

#15 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Maybe. Thought the host is in California, so, in that regard, yours should be the zippiest of all.

So next time your servers take a dump, you want me to hop over the hill, down into the valley, and shake some shit up? Kick some asses? Or can I just stay in my humble beach community?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).