Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

I posted this on the font page but thought it might fit here as well.

We have a couple of SS/3B options with Castro (SS), Baez (SS/3B), Lake(SS/3B), Vitters (1B & 3B), Jeimer Candelario (3B) &Marco Hernandez (SS). My question is what about 2B? Can any of these players switch over to the other side of the diamond?

Scouts say Baez will definitely move to 3B. I've heard Lake is projected to move to 3B as well (2B would be a waste of his arm). Vitters I see at 1B. I don't know much about Candelario. SB Nation has Hernandez staying at SS and may be rated much higher next year, again don't know much about him.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#2 Ashley

Ashley

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:CubsFan1023
  • Facebook:Ashley Bolton
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

I think in the end it will come down to 3 guys Lake, Baez and Torreyes Torreyes is who we got from the Reds in the Marshall trade. I think any of those guys could fill the role nicely/

#3 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

We have a couple of SS/3B options with Castro (SS), Baez (SS/3B), Lake(SS/3B), Vitters (1B & 3B), Jeimer Candelario (3B) &Marco Hernandez (SS). My question is what about 2B? Can any of these players switch over to the other side of the diamond?

Scouts say Baez will definitely move to 3B. I've heard Lake is projected to move to 3B as well (2B would be a waste of his arm). Vitters I see at 1B. I don't know much about Candelario. SB Nation has Hernandez staying at SS and may be rated much higher next year, again don't know much about him.

Unless Torreyes maxes out the tools he has (hit, plate discipline), I am fairly confident in saying the 2B of the future is not currently in the system.

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Unless Torreyes maxes out the tools he has (hit, plate discipline), I am fairly confident in saying the 2B of the future is not currently in the system.

If that is the case we have MANY 3B/SS assets for the future.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Always hard to project too far down the road, because 18-year-olds can fall off the map in a half season, but man, oh man, the Cubs have some great, great young 2B options including Hernandez, Amaya, DeVoss, Silva, and Torreyes.

I can't wait to see what all five of those kids do next year.

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Always hard to project too far down the road, because 18-year-olds can fall off the map in a half season, but man, oh man, the Cubs have some great, great young 2B options including Hernandez, Amaya, DeVoss, Silva, and Torreyes.

So, what your saying is we will have Barney starting in 2013 & probably 2014 as well? I am not sure about Amaya, DeVoss & Silva but I believe Torreyes and Hernandez were just in A ball last year. I would really like to see the Cubs stop rushing the talent through the system and actually develop them so they are actually ready when they reach the show.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

To me the guy I am most excited about is Logan Watkins. Torreyes has a lot of intrigue, but Watkins flat out had the light come on last year. I like his speed and he does have a little pop in his bat. He played a lot of SS last year so he has the range and arm for second.

He had slumped in 10 but some of that is being attributed to moving him around from SS-2nd-CF. Once they settled on him at SS last year he flat out raked.

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

So, what your saying is we will have Barney starting in 2013 & probably 2014 as well? I am not sure about Amaya, DeVoss & Silva but I believe Torreyes and Hernandez were just in A ball last year. I would really like to see the Cubs stop rushing the talent through the system and actually develop them so they are actually ready when they reach the show.

I don't know about Barney, but yeah, none of these kids will be ready any time soon (I'm like you - Cubs have rushed kids too much over the past decade).

#9 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

That is a very exciting group, the one guy in there that I don't love is Silva. He will be 23 this year and will have to start in Daytona. He struggled there as a 22 year old. His biggest weakness is that he doesn't take a walk. I think for Silva to make it, it will be as a utility guy.

#10 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

I like Zeke DeVoss. I don't know if he's going to settle at second or in center, but I like him better than any other second basemen in the system. I've only seen 2 or 3 at bats for Torreyes, so I can't judge him fairly, but his numbers look really good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).