#17 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the season too. Not because they are going to be any good but I'm excited to the actually hustle and act like they give a shit. It will be refreshing after watching Aramis loaf around the bases. I'm hoping Campana has a great year.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#18 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Here's my top 5

1. Philosophy Change - the team may look worse on paper than recent Cubs teams, but we needed a philosophy change and leadership that we can have faith in, Who knows how it works out, but it's something different so It's very welcome. This year is the groundwork and foundation of (hopefully) better things to come.

2. Young-uns - Brett Jackson, LaHair/Rizzo, Castro's ongoing development, etc. It's time to see what these guys have.. and especially after how poorly Q and Piniella used guys like Colvin, some of these young guys getting a chance is exciting.

3. Minor Leagues - another strong draft, a couple more decent trades and we could have a top 5 farm system. That would allow us to make big trades and produce high quality, cheaper players with consistency.

4. Wrigley Upgrades - I love Wrigley, but we could all agree it needs upgrades. Ownership/FA seems dedicated to taking Wrigley to the next level.

5. Fundamentals - Every new manager promises it yet can't deliver. It seems like this regime is going all out to improve them.. Defense, hitting your cut off man, smart baserunning, bunting, etc. is needed and this could be the year we get it!

#19 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

1. Jim Hendry took us to the playoffs 3 times in a 9 year period. Name the last cubs GM to do that. I am excited for the future with Theo and Jed, but if they can equal that they will have done a good job.

I agree that if Epstein and Hoyer make the playoffs the same amount of times that Hendry did, that they will have done an equal job. I don't agree that going 3 times in 9 years in one of the largest markets in baseball, with one of the highest payrolls is a good job. The Cubs need to be making the playoffs more often than not, otherwise we are just accepting the same mediocrity we've been seeing for the past 100+ years. This is regime that values long term competitiveness, and adds solutions before problems arise, not one that spends reflexively, hoping to string together a team that might compete from year to year.

#20 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

I've never been a Jim Hendry hater. I think he did a lot of good things while he was with the Cubs, and unfortunately, what we remember are the contracts that we're still stuck with. All in all, though, he did decimate our minor league system. I'm still amazed at how quickly the current management has improved it.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#21 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

5-Zambrano is gone and finally bats in Chicago are safe again

4-No over paid free agents

3-A actual plan, philosophy, and the patience to make that plan happen

2-The Front Office and ownerships willingness to let them make the decisions

1-The BN Game Day Threads... It's going to be epic

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#22 CarolinaCubsFan

CarolinaCubsFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationThe Piedmont of North Carolina

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

This. Especially number 1 on the list here. I have never experienced the BN game thread so I am especially looking forward to that. I can't wait for that. I live sometimes just for the gamethreads alone. And not only are the bats safe in Chicago, the Gatorade machine is now safe as well. lol

Now I'm always the optimistic person so remember that as you go over this post but I do not think this team is going to be as bad as some people out there think it will be. I am not saying we are going to be world beaters, not by a mile, but I think potential is there to be better than some suggest. I think I look directly at the fact that this division, the NL Central, isn't the greatest division in the world. A lot of key figures are not in this division any longer and I think the door is wide open for a few teams in the division. Except for Houston who appears to have fallen off the map. The Cubs can at least be respectable and competitive, that would be my hope.

If I were to rank the teams heading into the preseason, and this is right off the top of my head admittedly right now, I would go like this:

1. St. Louis
2. Milwaukee
3. Cincinnati
4. Chicago
5. Pittsburgh
6. Houston

I don't think there is a clear number 1. Or 2 for that matter. There is a lot of potential and I like that. From an offensive standpoint, I like Ian Stewart and I think Soto is in for a monster year. You know Castro and what he can do, he'll be fun, plus you got what hopefully will be an improved pitching staff from top to bottom. Hopefully Marmol can go back to being a bit more consistent this year. It'll be fun on the North Side, no one can dispute that. I can't wait for the season to get going!

#23 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

This. Especially number 1 on the list here. I have never experienced the BN game thread so I am especially looking forward to that. I can't wait for that. I live sometimes just for the gamethreads alone. And not only are the bats safe in Chicago, the Gatorade machine is now safe as well. lol

Now I'm always the optimistic person so remember that as you go over this post but I do not think this team is going to be as bad as some people out there think it will be. I am not saying we are going to be world beaters, not by a mile, but I think potential is there to be better than some suggest. I think I look directly at the fact that this division, the NL Central, isn't the greatest division in the world. A lot of key figures are not in this division any longer and I think the door is wide open for a few teams in the division. Except for Houston who appears to have fallen off the map. The Cubs can at least be respectable and competitive, that would be my hope.

If I were to rank the teams heading into the preseason, and this is right off the top of my head admittedly right now, I would go like this:

1. St. Louis
2. Milwaukee
3. Cincinnati
4. Chicago
5. Pittsburgh
6. Houston

I don't think there is a clear number 1. Or 2 for that matter. There is a lot of potential and I like that. From an offensive standpoint, I like Ian Stewart and I think Soto is in for a monster year. You know Castro and what he can do, he'll be fun, plus you got what hopefully will be an improved pitching staff from top to bottom. Hopefully Marmol can go back to being a bit more consistent this year. It'll be fun on the North Side, no one can dispute that. I can't wait for the season to get going!

I don't think ST. Louis will win the division, personally I don't think they will make the postseason. They just lost LaRussa (and their voodoo magic), Matt Holliday, Chris Carpenter, and Lance Berkman (does anyone honestly think he will be anywhere close to where he was last season) are only getting older. Not to mention the new manager has no ML experience on a team filled with aging players and a fanbase that is expecting success. Oh and Carlos Beltran, he has had like what, one complete season in the past six years. Then you have the Brewers who decided that they would try to fill the void left by Fielder with A-Ram (HA!), not to mention Braun is suspended for the first half of the season. The Pirates have more potential than they are given credit for and it is likely that they could be competitive this year.
1. Reds
2. Pirates
3. Brewers
4. Cardinals
5. Cubs
6. Astros
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#24 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

I think I agree with your pick to win the division. I've gone back and forth, but the Reds seem to have the team this year. Dusty will find a way to screw it up, though.

The Cards still have the best pitching staff in the division, but they're down Duncan - that could be huge.

Brewers lost Fielder and Braun for 50 and picked up Aram. Only time will tell how that one plays out.
- diehard fanclub member #002

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).