TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

I don't really get it. I mean, there seems almost *zero* chance that he could win the argument in front of the arbiter. So how does this help him?

Possibilities:

- He's daring Theo to go to arbitration? And he thinks it makes the Cubs more likely to settle at a higher annual salary than they otherwise would have?
- He thinks that losing the arb case makes it more likely he'll be traded away?
- He thinks he can win the case and is worth $12.5m?
- He's just kinda being a dick, as he's been hearing his name bandied around as trade bait for months now?

Just seems weird. Seems like he'd be easy to trade at just under $8m. Seems like he wouldn't be at $12.5 (or at the $10.25m midpoint). So why wouldn't the Cubs give him the Theriot treatment in arbitration and then send him off (preferably after the mid-February point at which last summer's signings become eligible as PTBNLs)?

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

I see what you did with the title..... ya hippy.

I think Garza's new agent (BetterNews) talked him into it.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

I don't see how he can possibly think he can win. I think it's trade strategy or just old fashioned being a dick.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

I see what you did with the title..... ya hippy.

I think Garza's new agent (BetterNews) talked him into it.

Classic.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#5 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

This has been in the back of my mind since Brett wrote it (before Christmas):

Theo left open the possibility of extending Matt Garza, instead of trading him, but that seems more like a matter of preserving leverage in trade talks than a sincere desire to extend Garza. “In the case of Matt Garza, perhaps nothing happens [in terms of a trade],” Epstein said, “or perhaps we can turn him into a long-term asset by extending him on a deal that makes sense for everybody.”

I think Garza wants to negotiate, and he may want to avoid a future, in-season contract extension debacle. (Theo is distressingly unafraid of these) It is just 50% feeling and 50% wishful thinking, but both of these professionals (Theo and Garza) must know what they are doing. I predict 9M, but with an extra two years tacked on to contract with commensurate raises or performance bonuses attached.

But, Theo might have to go to arbitration with these conditions. I just never have seen it.

#6 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

And this:

“As we do with all of our players, we weigh all of our options. Really I think very highly of Matt Garza. I think he’s a top-of-the-rotation guy, and I’m looking forward to him being on the mound for us this season. But we are being transparent about the fact that sometimes it makes sense to weigh your options and see if you can put yourself in a better position for the long haul.
“It makes sense for the organization to turn short-term assets into long-term assets. You can do that like we did with Sean. For one year with Sean Marshall we get five years of Travis Wood. But there is another way to do it. You can also find a contract extension that makes sense for both parties and create long-term impact that way.

It just feels like a negotiation where one guy says "You gotta help me out here" when he means "Make me a deal that is more to my advantage."

I'm probably projecting my own wishes here, on both of them. But, what's, January for?

#7 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

I think this was a smart move on Garza's part. He has to be seeing the rumors about his trade value and the Cubs asking price. He's just demanding a salary that reflects the value the Cubs see in him. I don't think he'll get the 12 million, but he will get a nice raise out of this. At the least, he's going to top 7 million, which was a lowball offer anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).