MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

So a poster reported a rumor he read on another site that said Dempster for Phil Hughes was being reported on the interweb. So many of us jumped on the report and discussed the merits of such a trade and the merits of the blog that reported the rumor.

In short, the rumor came from a site that regularly reports anything that is floating around the web, without any links to said rumor, and is rarely correct.

So it had me thinking about how we deal with all the information that floats around the net and how BleacherNation plays in this market.

I see BleacherNation as THE premier independent site for Cubs news and rumors. Brett has created a site that carefully and ethically reports the information he has heard and then craft wonderful commentary about that information. However there are many sites that are just dreaming of being as connected as BleacherNation has become, but it does not mean that these sites have no value.

Each site has its own purpose and place and what I love about BleacherNation is that it has become a place where those reports can be discussed and eventually even dismissed. I like that posters want to report what they are reading on other sites and then then we fellow posters can use our network to confirm, deny, and discuss the report, but there are some basic guidelines that can be used when shuffling through the interweb looking at Cub sites.
  • Sites that don't link their reports to other news sites or aren't connected to major news sites should not be trusted or at least read with educated caution
  • A site that just list rumors without discussing the merits of that rumor are suspect. Anyone can collect information, but it is the commentary of that information that makes a site useful and builds discussion.
  • Information that sounds amazing or too good to be true and is not reported by any other site should not be believed.
  • A independent site with an administrator that does not reply to your inquiries means that the administrator does not have anything else to report.
With all this said, I am not advocating that we should ignore these sites, or post questions about them on the main board or here on the message board. Having discussions about unsubstantiated rumors has merit. It helps us further understand the value of players, the nature of trade rumors, and informs us about how to use the web to get news and information.

NOTE: I am not bashing any site here and believe they all have a purpose, but wanted to start a discussion about how we use the web to inform us about Cubs news and information.

Basically I'm curious how everyone navigates through the murk of the internet and especially the plethora of sports new and rumor sites.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#2 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

I see BleacherNation as THE premier independent site for Cubs news and rumors. Brett has created a site that carefully and ethically reports the information he has heard and then craft wonderful commentary about that information. However there are many sites that are just dreaming of being as connected as BleacherNation has become.

Right on, brother!

Great post! From my own experience up until very recently, I would search the internet for baseball stuff (mostly Cubs). Most articles are reporting on the same handful of big news items in baseball with their different spins on them, but I could never get enough, especially if it had anything to do with Cub rumors. From my experience, this site does the best job that I've seen of compiling that information and presenting it in a concise manner. Brett isn't arrogant, and doesn't come off as trying to be 'in the know' when he's not. He reports what he knows, sites his sources, and then he gives his opinions. Perfect.

Needless to say, I spend very little time searching the internet for baseball news anymore. Whatever time I do spend reading up on baseball is mostly spent here because it's always up to date, and summarizes most everything I have interest in (Cubs) that has merit. Most of the posters here are extremely thoughtful and intelligent baseball-wise, as well. Not to mention the handful or so that crack me up on a daily basis.

Love this site! Best thing since sliced bread!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#3 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

I use Bleacher Nation, Cubs Den, and occasionally ESPN Chi Cubs.

Primarily BN, but Cubs Den also has some great stuff.

And if you're not on Twitter you are missing out.

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

I've never used Twitter. I just can't bring myself to do it! This site is starting to pull me in that direction, but I haven't given in yet!

Tell me - won't I get all the Twitter news on here within a day anyhow?

I dunno - I am still fighting the urge.

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

I've never used Twitter. I just can't bring myself to do it! This site is starting to pull me in that direction, but I haven't given in yet!

DO IT, join the addiction

Brett frequently posts stuff on there you won't get on the site and then there are the rest of us that frequently reports other news.

And if you like beer you'll love my tweets... DO IT

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#6 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

Twitter isn't as bad as you probably think. Before I joined I though it was stupid. But you can get a lot of Cubs news as well as any other sport you might be interested in.

#7 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

And if you like beer you'll love my tweets... DO IT

LOL! Compelling argument I had not considered.

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for compliments, chaps. I guess I always just try to do what I would want from a site: give readers all of the rumors I'm hearing/reading, but with an analysis/warning about the probable validity.

Rumormongering isn't an easy business, because there are so, so many ways to be led astray. And, worse, 95% of the time, the rumored thing in a legit rumor never happens (i.e., e.g., the Cubs and A's are talking about a trade for Player X - it might well be the case that they HAVE IN FACT discussed Player X, but the odds of a trade being completed are always quite low).

And, yeah, Twitter is the shit. Took me a long time to figure out what I would use it for and how to enjoy it, but once I got the hang, I became addicted.

#9 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

And there's a lot of us from here on Twitter. I thought it was stupid too at first but now I'm hooked. I'm not even on FB--I'm off the grid baby!
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#10 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

And there's a lot of us from here on Twitter. I thought it was stupid too at first but now I'm hooked. I'm not even on FB--I'm off the grid baby!

My disdain for Facebook is one of the reasons I've avoided Twitter. 'Off the grid' is right! That's what I'm talkin' bout! Conspiracy theorists unite!

#11 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

Twinkie, even an old codger like myself has learned to use twitter. I rarely tweet, but I do read it from time to time.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#12 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

another good way to tell if the rumors on a site have any validity...if they are really F#&CKING STUPID!

let's see, on the Yankees Dempster would be their fourth or fifth best starter, he makes 14 mil dough, Hughes is much younger, Dempster has a no-trade clause...

the only logical link would be reuniting with Rothschild

#13 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

From the admin of the site concerning the Dempster/Hughes rumor

@HotStoveCubbies: @MichiganGoat I have heard this from a really good source and confirmed by another.  Thanks!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).