King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

I think it's time for the Cubs to start looking at signing him to a long term deal. They need to strike before his value gets too high. I think he is going to do nothing but improve from here on out and not signing him now would be a costly mistake. Evan Longoria got a 6 year 17 million dollar contract right after he was called up and the Jose Tabata contract looks like a good starting point for a Castro deal, so it's not unheard of and maybe even ahead of the curve for teams to lock guys up when they are younger. What do you guys think? Should they sign him now, or wait until he's closer to arbitration or free agency?

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

I agree, with a better coach he can only get better. And I do not want him to move from SS, he has amazing range. If he can only learn when to make a throw and when to just hold it his error rate would dramatically decrease.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

Eh - signing guys to long-term deals pre-arbitration tends to be a good risk for smaller market clubs, but a poor one for big market clubs who can easily afford to pay arbitration raises, and a free agent contract. Signing him now is a high risk, high reward proposition. Signing him later is a low risk, medium reward proposition. I can see why small market clubs take the risk; not sure the Cubs need to.

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

Lets make sure this guy isnt just going to be Ryan Theriot 2.0 before we go lock him up to anything. I understand he is young but there is some development needed in the power and decision making areas before I go anointing him Savior.

#5 NL_Cubs

NL_Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Twitter:NL_Cubs
  • LocationTransplanted Chicagoan Living in Virginia

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

I agree, with a better coach he can only get better. And I do not want him to move from SS, he has amazing range. If he can only learn when to make a throw and when to just hold it his error rate would dramatically decrease.

Within the last month or so, I've noticed Castro putting balls in his pocket more often rather than trying to make those ill-advised throws as he was so often before. It's fun watching the kid mature.

Now on the 200 hit watch. The kid is something else.
"You gotta love baseball before you love the Cubs"

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

Lets make sure this guy isnt just going to be Ryan Theriot 2.0 before we go lock him up to anything. I understand he is young but there is some development needed in the power and decision making areas before I go anointing him Savior.

I see where you're coming from, but let's be honest. Ryan Theriot isn't going to lead any league in hits any time in the near or distant future. Comparing Castro to Theriot is pretty out there, and I wonder how much more you need to see from him to convince you that he is not a fluke? Castro is looking like a special player who is still developing. I get Brett's point about not being necessary for a large market club to extend guys this early. I just think it would be better for them to continue to be proactive in player development, contracts, and acquisitions, instead of the normal reactionary nature of the team. It has worked for other teams, Cleveland built quite a team with the philosophy of tying up it's young building blocks early. It might not be a necessary step, but it would be a smart one, and a good indicator to other players in the organization and around the league that the Cubs are going to reward the guys who keep producing, no matter how young they are.

Edited by Jeff, 04 September 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#7 amoo22

amoo22

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:andrewmoo22
  • Facebook:andrew Moore

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

Id love to see castro as a 15,40 player (15 homers 40 SB) and i think its possible... he has something like 21 SB now and he didnt start stealing bases until the second half the season. I dont think castro is ever going to hit 30 homers or get 100 rbis

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:44 AM

I think Castro's power could explode - he's got the body for it, and the swing.

#9 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

I'd be leary to give him big money until he truly has a breakout year.. barely over..300 with single digit HR's & double digit errors isn't enough to justify a big payday, yet.. I absolutely think he'll get there but he's not "there" yet.

#10 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

I'd be leary to give him big money until he truly has a breakout year.. barely over..300 with single digit HR's & double digit errors isn't enough to justify a big payday, yet.. I absolutely think he'll get there but he's not "there" yet.

So leading the league in hits isn't break out enough for you?

#11 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

It's good, a dang good start. I'm just saying don't pay him huge money yet if you don't have to. Having a ton of hits is great, shoot, we never have a league leader in that category... however he's barely over .300 and not hitting for power yet.. I think he'll be better next year, and probably putting up terrific numbers the year after.. I just wouldn't pull the trigger yet on a big extension.

#12 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

He's also leading the league in at bats. Just sayin'.

#13 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

Which explains why he's leading the league in hits, but barely hitting over .300. He's also an error machine.. which isn't helping his cause..

He's young and has more upside than just about anyone in recent Cubs history.. I think he needs to have a couple years where his offense improves and his defense improves, then we'll be talking big contract.

#14 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

"He's young and has more upside than just about anyone in recent Cubs history."

Which is why I think now or the near future (by the end of the season next year), is the best time to sign him long term. His flaws are apparent, but so is his potential. If he signs soon, we're probably looking at 5 or 6 years at a total of less than 20 million, that's probably being a little generous comparing guys in similar situations service time wise. If he even shows slight improvement, he'll be a value contract for the remainder of the deal. If they wait and he breaks out; hits 20 homeruns, steals more bases, and cuts down on his errors(all very possible), his value is going to skyrocket simply because he plays shortstop.

Brett is probably right on this, and the team can afford to take the risk to see if he develops into a superstar. I just think it would be wise for the team to start to look to lock up it's young building block(s?) when it has the opportunity. We could be looking at him wanting a 12-15 million dollar a year deal in three years, or have him signed up at a much lower number, and have the extra millions to spend elsewhere without straining the payroll any more than already is.

#15 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

"He's young and has more upside than just about anyone in recent Cubs history."

Which is why I think now or the near future (by the end of the season next year), is the best time to sign him long term. His flaws are apparent, but so is his potential. If he signs soon, we're probably looking at 5 or 6 years at a total of less than 20 million, that's probably being a little generous comparing guys in similar situations service time wise. If he even shows slight improvement, he'll be a value contract for the remainder of the deal. If they wait and he breaks out; hits 20 homeruns, steals more bases, and cuts down on his errors(all very possible), his value is going to skyrocket simply because he plays shortstop.

Brett is probably right on this, and the team can afford to take the risk to see if he develops into a superstar. I just think it would be wise for the team to start to look to lock up it's young building block(s?) when it has the opportunity. We could be looking at him wanting a 12-15 million dollar a year deal in three years, or have him signed up at a much lower number, and have the extra millions to spend elsewhere without straining the payroll any more than already is.

I get your argument, I just think it's a year or so too early to give him the big bucks, especially for a franchise who is notorious for bad contracts.. We have a lot of money coming off the books over the next 2 off-seasons.. I still think you wait until after next year and see how Castro does to determine his long term big contract worth. I'm not implying that we need to wait 3-4 years until it's too late, I am saying don't jump the gun.. this off season would be jumping the gun.

Having upside doesn't mean he will be a superstar, it just means he should be one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).