Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

I think Abreu is one of the more underrated prospects in the Cubs system. Before coming to the Cubs last year in a trade with the Indians in exchange for Kosuke Fukudome, he was the #5 prospect in the Indians farm system. This past season in 91 games with the Indians A+ team he hit 12HR, had 35 RBI, stole 19 bases and had a .244/.294/.429 line, and in just 25 games with the cubs he hit 1HR and had 7 RBI with roughly the same batting line as above. Scouts have been comparing him to a young Alfonso Soriano. And while his numbers aren't stellar they are pretty good for 21 year old.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#2 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

What list were you looking at regarding Abreu? Neither Baseball America nor Keith Law had him on a pre-season top 10 list. A 21 year old who can't crack a .300 OBP in A ball is a non-prospect....period.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

He's still a prospect, but a fringe one. The Florida State League can depress offensive numbers, but, yeah, his were bad. Good athlete, can't seem to hit. Yet. I'd give him one more year before totally giving up on him.

#4 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

people have always liked his "tools" but yeah he is the epitome of raw.

#5 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

he is only 21... just sayin

#6 NormB

NormB

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:nbothwell11
  • LocationBurbs

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

He's a lottery ticket with a very slim chance. Still plenty of time to come around and no reason to ever give up on minor leaguers (until a 40 man spot needs to be decided on), but underrated? I don't think he's a top 25 guy in the Cubs system.

#7 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

he is only 21... just sayin

He is but he will be 22 next season and most likely need to repeat at Daytona. Not saying he can't be a good player but he is going to have to quit missing so much and take a walk a little more often.

#8 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

Yea, he definitely does need to get his BA up and take more walks. But he does have HR power, which will hopefully show as his swing improves, and he is a solid baserunner, he was only CS 2 times last season.

#9 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

His entire offensive approach is poor given his OBP and his K/BB ratio. Again, no matter what Brett says, he's a non-prospect.

#10 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

His entire offensive approach is poor given his OBP and his K/BB ratio. Again, no matter what Brett says, he's a non-prospect.

numbers don't always determine a prospects worth. He is a fringe prospect which I believe is what Brett said.

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

I can really see him being the compensation to Boston.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#12 dabynsky

dabynsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

I can really see him being the compensation to Boston.

I would be pretty happy with that turn of events, and given that Selig is involved I think it could be around that level of prospect. He is the kind of prospect though that Boston would stay far far away from I think if they had a choice.

#13 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

numbers don't always determine a prospects worth. He is a fringe prospect which I believe is what Brett said.

I just disagree with him even being a fringe guy. He has no average tool (speed only counts with some ability to get on base), and fringe prospects have at least one average tool.

#14 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

I just disagree with him even being a fringe guy. He has no average tool (speed only counts with some ability to get on base), and fringe prospects have at least one average tool.

Well he does have some average tools. First his speed is average, which helps with his plus tool- defense. He was considered defensively to be the indians best outfield prospect. You are right about his offensive game, he has a lot of work to do, not unlike-Junior Lake who is considered a better prospect. But Abreu has some of the same raw tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).