Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

The time for BN Fantasy Baseball is now!

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

If you are interested in being a part of the BN Fantasy baseball league please let me know, I am currently in the process of creating a league but I need to know who all is interested. League size is 8-24 teams. And the sooner everyone lets me know the sooner I can get the league up and running. Also this will be a dynasty league so yeah.

UPDATE: Email me, Sam@Varipapa.com if you are interested in playing and I will send you the league info and password so that you can join.

This will be a H2H style keeper league. There are 17 roster spots on each team and you can place 1 player on a 15 day DL. Other than that it is a standard league. I am using fleaflicker.com for the league if you want to check it out.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

Okay count me in, although I don't think I'm very good at this fantasy thing. I just don't follow players outside of the Cubs very carefully. My concern is I can't commit over multiple years, is this a multi-year commitment?

I've never used fleaflicker but since they have a iphone app I don't have any problem.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'd love to but I've never done fantasy bball before so I have no clue, as usual.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#4 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

I'd love to but I've never done fantasy bball before so I have no clue, as usual.

I've never done it either.

Explain.

#5 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Yeah! What the hell does H2H keeper league mean? Draft your roster and that's who you're stuck with, no trades? Sorry for the dumb questions. I need a clue by four here!

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Just sign up Katie and join the addiction

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#7 dabynsky

dabynsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

Yeah! What the hell does H2H keeper league mean? Draft your roster and that's who you're stuck with, no trades? Sorry for the dumb questions. I need a clue by four here!

H2H mean head to head matchups are used (usually weekly matchups) to determine the winner and loser. Keeper league means that players on your team(not sure the number since it depends on the league) will be kept from one season to the next season.

#8 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

I don't want to brag, but it looks like I have already earned a first round bye in the playoffs.

#9 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Well I signed up and will be looking forward to my time in the cellars drinking all the cask beer while you kids school me about how to win at fantasy.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#10 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

I'm scared.

#11 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

• Pick a league to play in. Fantasy baseball is most commonly played online through one of various sites that offer customizable formats, many of which are free. However, fantasy baseball leagues can also be set up and operated by a league manager without the use of an online format.

Know what kind of league you are playing in. There are rotisserie leagues in which teams get points based on different categories and the team at the end of the season with the most points wins. There are also head-to-head leagues in which two teams will play each other and the team with the most points wins the match. The team with the most wins at the end of a head-to-head league is the season champion. These are the basics types, but some leagues may have alternative or additional rules including combining head-to-head and rotisserie rules.

Draft your team. Your draft will probably be on a set date so know when it is so you can be there, otherwise you may get virtually drafted and have a team you do not want. There are two typical kinds of drafts in fantasy baseball. The first is the auction system in which teams are allotted a certain amount of money and can bid on players. The second is a serpentine draft system where teams draft players in a determined order until all team rosters are filled.

Find out how scoring works in your league. Typically fantasy baseball work on a 4x4 or 5x5 scoring system based on either 4 or 5 offensive and 4 or 5 pitching statistics. The stats for a

4x4

system

are usually team batting average, home runs, RBI and stolen bases for offense and wins, saves, ERA and WHIP for pitching. For 5x5 leagues, runs and strikeouts are often added. Some leagues go to a 6x6 system or more, adding in other statistics like OPS and holds.

Assemble your starting lineup. You will have players at all of your defensive positions, starting pitchers, relief pitchers and utility players. Be sure to make sure the players you are starting are not hurt or in a terrible slump.

Make trade requests and pick up free agents when needed. Since you will usually have your draft at the beginning of the season, it is easy to end up with players who had a good year last year but are terrible on your current team. In many leagues you can trade with no penalty and you can pick up free agents. You can only have a specified number of players on your team, though, so if you are picking up a new player you may have to release on of yours first.

Keep up with your team throughout the season. A fantasy baseball team can run fairly autonomously, but in order to be successful you really need to check your team on a regular basis to see how players are performing and decide if changes need to be made.

Sponsored Links

Read more: How to Play Fantasy Baseball | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz1kRZn2KTd

#12 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hitting
Rule Apply To 2 points for every Run C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF, RF, DH 2 points for every Stolen Base C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF, RF, DH 1 point for every Run Batted In C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF, RF, DH 1 point for every Total Base C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF, RF, DH 1 point for every Walk C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF, RF, DH -1 point for every Strike Out C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF, RF, DH
Pitching
8 points for every Win SP, RP -3 points for every Loss SP, RP 5 points for every Save SP, RP 3 points for every Inning Pitched SP, RP -1 point for every Hit Allowed SP, RP -2 points for every Earned Run SP, RP -1 point for every Walk SP, RP 1 point for every Strike Out SP, RP

#13 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

#14 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

#15 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

I'm in. Ready to dominate. You better be scared Katie, my team plays dirty.

But seriously, everone should be in the league. Easy to pick up on the rules and strategies. I've been in dozens of leagues, but I've never been in a keeper league before, pretty stoked about that.
- die hard fanclub member #001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).