#1 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

30 years ago the Cubs sent Ivan DeJesus to the Phillies in exchange for Larry Bowa and Ryne Sandberg.

This is the type of fleecing I'm hoping Theo and Co. can pull off!

This article sums up the trade nicely: http://www.philly2ph...ies_all_time_wo

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Brock for Broglio, right?

#3 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

Brock for Broglio, right?

Ha. Yes, that trade was more amazing than the time Michael Jackson came to my house to use the bathroom.

#4 dabynsky

dabynsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

Kidding aside that trade has to be the best in Cubs history. As a runner-up I would have to nominate Hendry's miracle of changing Todd Hundley into two significant pieces of the 2003 team Mark Grudzielanek (ha, spelt it right on the first try) and Eric Karros.

#5 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

as much as he has been disgraced....Sosa for George Bell was pretty, pretty good for the Cubs..I can honestl say though that I never liked Sosa from the moment we got him....too hot doggy for me from the start...

#6 dabynsky

dabynsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

as much as he has been disgraced....Sosa for George Bell was pretty, pretty good for the Cubs..I can honestl say though that I never liked Sosa from the moment we got him....too hot doggy for me from the start...

Geez I almost need to take my Cubs fan card away from me for not mentioning Bell as Sosa as top Cubs trade.

#7 Coach Harris

Coach Harris

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

Agree with the above mentioned trades and the Goonies reference.

Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton for Jose Hernandez and Matt Bruback was not too shabby. I know the Pirates were cutting payroll...but still pretty good.

Lofton was the catalyst of the 2003 playoff run and A-Ram finally gave stability (although often injured) to a revolving door of crappy Cubs 3rd basemen.

#8 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Trading away Felix Heredia in 2001.

#9 dabynsky

dabynsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

Agree with the above mentioned trades and the Goonies reference.

Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton for Jose Hernandez and Matt Bruback was not too shabby. I know the Pirates were cutting payroll...but still pretty good.

Lofton was the catalyst of the 2003 playoff run and A-Ram finally gave stability (although often injured) to a revolving door of crappy Cubs 3rd basemen.

Lofton was a very nice player to have, but this idea that he was the catalyst for the 2003 run is one of those things that get said a lot that irks me. The '03 Cubs didn't score runs at a higher rate after netting Lofton, and he was clearly a worse defender in center than Corey Patterson that year. The prize of that trade was getting the best 3B the Cubs have had in 30 years in Aramis Ramirez.

#10 Coach Harris

Coach Harris

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

During the playoffs, Lofton led the team in RUNS, STOLEN BASES, and was second in HITS to Moises Alou. In addition to this, he was third in WALKS behind only A-Ram and Sosa giving him one of the highest OBP.

One thing that I remember from that playoff run (as painful as it is to think about it) is that Lofton always seemed to get on base and score.

If the word "catylist" bothers you maybe we could call him something else. Either way, he was a huge part of their offense in the 2003 playoffs.

#11 dabynsky

dabynsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:47 AM

During the playoffs, Lofton led the team in RUNS, STOLEN BASES, and was second in HITS to Moises Alou. In addition to this, he was third in WALKS behind only A-Ram and Sosa giving him one of the highest OBP.

One thing that I remember from that playoff run (as painful as it is to think about it) is that Lofton always seemed to get on base and score.

If the word "catylist" bothers you maybe we could call him something else. Either way, he was a huge part of their offense in the 2003 playoffs.

I suppose that was my quibble. You will have no argument from me that Lofton was huge in the playoffs, but I took your saying of playoff run as meaning both the stretch that pushed the Cubs into first place in the division and the playoffs. Many have made the argument that the acquisition of Lofton is what allowed the Cubs to go on the run to get to the playoffs, which is not accurate to say. However, if your statement was merely about Lofton's postseason performance than I withdraw my quibble.

#12 Coach Harris

Coach Harris

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

I think Lofton certainly did help...but would agree that his acquisition is not what got them there. Ultimately it was a team effort, but the most important players in that run were probably the two most obvious....Wood and Prior. Prior was unbelievable down the stretch.

It was a good trade. As you stated earlier, ARam was a steal. Certainly the best Cubs 3rd baseman in my lifetime.

#13 dabynsky

dabynsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

I think Lofton certainly did help...but would agree that his acquisition is not what got them there. Ultimately it was a team effort, but the most important players in that run were probably the two most obvious....Wood and Prior. Prior was unbelievable down the stretch.

It was a good trade. As you stated earlier, ARam was a steal. Certainly the best Cubs 3rd baseman in my lifetime.

And you get no arguments from me about any of those statement. I guess it was a bit of overreaction on my part, but there was a lot of talk at the time and since that Kenny Lofton was what ignited the run to the playoffs that year which simply isn't bore out by any empirical evidence.

#14 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

The sad thing is that the Cubs' haven't had a legitimate lead off hitter since Lofton.

#15 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

They HAD to get Lofton after Patterson went down, which was a real shame because he was finally showing the potential that never surfaced. While Ramirez obviously had the most long term value, Lofton was way more important to the team THAT year. Ramon Martinez wasn't suited to be an everyday player but I'd take him at 3rd over Goodwin/O'Leary/Glanville in CF that year.

How about Bob Buhl and Larry Jackson for Fergie Jenkins? Both were out of the league after a couple years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).