Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Is The Designated Hitter Coming Soon To The NL?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#31 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

expanded roster next year=2013? Right?

I'm not a fan of the DH or interleague play, but;

Given that many posters here would like to see DH in the NL (or concede that it is coming regardless of what baseball hearts want), would they want to see, sooner--in the interim, a flip in the "home park rules" for interleague play? These interleague series aren't "World's".

These games could be played so that fans in the park can see the other team and their stars. (I doubt Chicago fans will see much David Ortiz this June for example.) It might be fun to watch the home team have 9 hitters in the line-up. Even though the roster wouldn't be designed for it, this year by June the Cubs, for example may have a DH candidate or two they would showcase. And in AL parks it would be fun for fans (and some managers, I think) try to remember some of the nuances of traditional play.

This is a good point. I think Cubs fans would want to see Ortiz, and they would better appreciate a Bryan Lahair or somebody like that getting a chance to showcase their stuff (probably more so than AL fans would, not knowing or caring about the Cubs roster).

NL teams would be at a pretty big disadvantage, not having had a chance to construct their roster to include a non-position bopper.

The NL is already at a big disadvantage in half the interleague games (the ones in the AL parks). I think what Fenway was suggesting was just to flip them. Doesn't change give either team an (additional) advantage, just allows the fans to see something different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).