Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

STATE OF THE CUBS FARM PART 2...beyond BA's top 31, some sleepers from last years draft

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Never has it been easier to find out about your favorite teams prospects. The modern fan knows more about a teams prospects than GM's did in the 50's and 60's. So the point of my "State of the Farm" today is not to go over BJackson, or Rizzo or the other 25-30 names Cub prospect fanatics know. Here are five "sleepers" from last years draft class to keep an eye on.

NEFTALI ROSARIO-C Drafted in the sixth round last year, this 18 year old catcher showed promise in 25 games in the Arizona Rookie League. He posted an .842 OPS, with a .293 average and 3 HR's.

MICHAEL JENSON-RHP This 21 year old drafted out of small Hartnell Junior College in the 26th round had success in very limited time in the Arizona Rookie League and in Boise. He only threw 4 innings, not allowing a run and striking out 5, but his short stint in Arizona could be a sign he may find his way to high A this season.

GARRETT SCHLECT-OF 18 year old drafted in the 9th round, Schlect is another in the long line of left-handed hitting OF's the Cubs have recently tried to produce. He did post a .471 OBP in his short time in Arizona.

ANDREW MCKIRAHAN-P I am a bit surprised this 22 year old lefty has not sniffed much attention considering that after being drafted in the 21st round he struck out 23 in 16 IP, allowing only 3 ER's, in Arizona and then Boise. His quick exit from Arizona coupled with his success could possibly find him as high as AA Tennessee this year.

TREVOR GRETZKY-1B Taken in the 7th round, most experts don't project much for this 6'4 195 lb 1B. However, if you know anything about his father, Trevor becomes an interesting prospect to watch. The "Babe Ruth" of hockey was not blessed with size or speed, but his uncanny intangibles in hockey made him the greatest of all time. You would think some of that would have to rub off in the backyard. I wouldn't bet against him.

Sleepers for sure, but these are the kind of players who may be on top 30 lists in the coming years.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

In the Prospect Handbook, BA has Gretzky listed at third base. I'm not entirely sure why, unless he played there in the Instructional League. I haven't heard anything on Gretzky being moved across the diamond permanently.

Love the McKirahan reference. I was talking about him right after the draft, but I think I was the only one doing so. He has a chance to surprise some people.

#3 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

The Cubs have around 250 minor leaguers, counting Mesa and the two Dominican teams. Half or more are still in their teens. Not being in the current top 30 doesn't guarantee failure to reach the big leagues.

#4 JulioZuleta

JulioZuleta

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

I'd add Tayler Scott (is a 5th rounder a sleeper?) and Trey Martin to the pile. For a real late round sleeper, Austin Urban. Also, while I don't expect much of him, Rock Shoulders was drafted by Theo and Crew in 2010, so he's got that going for him. Another name to file away for the future is Arturo Maltos-Garcia. He would have been a top 8 round draft pick but slipped to 30 if I remember correctly because he needed TJ. He probly won't see action until late July or August, if at all this year, but he's one to remember.

#5 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

yeah...maybe sleeper was the wrong term....just wanted to show some guys not in the top 30...Cubsin said it well in his above post...

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

When I did my list (and I only went 21 deep), I started just writing down names of guys I thought might deserve a place on the list. In a matter of minutes that list was 48 names long. The farm system is so deep right now you need a submarine to scout it. And I strongly suspect it is going to stay very deep for a long time.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Same thing here Luke, it is really hard to focus on 20-25 guys and look at them as candidates to make the big league team. It is almost like Hendry's goal was to draft all of the peripheral players on a team and fill in the superstars through free agency.

#8 Steve

Steve

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:@realjongruden

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

Andrew McKirahan put up nice stats in the lower levels. But hes 22, so he should be better than those guys who are just coming out of high school. it will be interesting to see what he does when he plays against players with more experience and who are older

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).