#1 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

Tonight's game is glorious. The Tigers are up 18-0 right now, ex-Cub Will Ohman just gave up a 2-run home run.

#2 NL_Cubs

NL_Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Twitter:NL_Cubs
  • LocationTransplanted Chicagoan Living in Virginia

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

I'd rather my sister be a whore than a White Sux fan!
"You gotta love baseball before you love the Cubs"

#3 Glenallens One Homer

Glenallens One Homer

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:39 PM

I mentioned this before in the comments but I actually watched a ton of White Sox games this summer since my sister is a Sox fan (she's such a rebel!) and I called her during the game tonight just to make sure she was watching. She wasn't.

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:22 AM

ex-Cub Will Ohman just gave up a 2-run home run.

Now there is a name I don't miss. Every time he would come out of the Cub's bullpen, I would yell "Oh Man!" and turn off the TV.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#5 NL_Cubs

NL_Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

After the beautifully orchestrated sweep by the Tigers and thus virtually eliminating the Sux from the race, I wonder if Reinsdorf will be open to talking to Ozzie about his extension request? Miami awaits Ozzie.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

I don't hate the Sox, I'm mostly ambivalent about the team. But Sox fans? Them I detest with bile and spite. I also think Ozzies's a dope. And Hawk is just so, so very bad.

#7 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

I don't exactly hate them either. I was halfway glad for the team, the players, and a couple of their fans when they won the world series. I just think most of their fans are jerks and trolls. I used to go to Comiskey all the time because the tickets were free from Wendy's. Among the thousands of empty seats were some of the most hostile and belligerent people I've ever met. Every game I went to, they were harder on their own players than I've ever seen a Chicago fan get on an opponent. It's almost too bad we have to share a city and other cheer for other teams with most of them. When I'm at a Bears game, I can always spot the White Sox' fan, he's the one getting wasted, yelling at the coach and the players every play(even though there's no way anyone on the field can hear him), and starting stuff with everyone around him. I usually hate to generalize, and I apologize if someone here is one of the minority of the decent White Sox fan, but in general, Sox fans are pretty hard to be around.

#8 Glenallens One Homer

Glenallens One Homer

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

I agree with you, Jeff, for the most part. Obviously there are a few really smart and devoted Sox fans that don't act like children, but there are far more loudmouths that are way more fairweather (at least when it comes to opinions of players) than any Cubs fan I know, despite the stereotype Cubs fans have. A great illustration is how Bobby Jenks went from being everyone's favorite player of all time to scum in the span of a few months. Obviously he isn't as good as he used to be, but the way that everyone universally turned on him with such vitriol was insane. See also: Joe Crede, Jim Thome, Tadahito Iguchi, etc.

#9 NL_Cubs

NL_Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

Zach Stewart has a perfect game going thru 7 innings. Best way to break up a no-no...start talking about it. See if the whammy works.

#10 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:12 PM

Dang, man. I don't care which team it is, a perfect game is the most amazing baseball feat ever. If you can't appreciate that -- White Sox pitcher or not -- I don't know how you can consider yourself a baseball fan.

#11 NL_Cubs

NL_Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

Works almost every time.

Hey, I can appreciate a perfecto and as a seasoned fan of this great game am well aware how special and unique it is. It's not just that it's a southsider who was on the verge of throwing one, but a kid who has what, about 10 MLB starts under his belt? I'd be much more supportive if it was being thrown by a more seasoned player which would combine more skill than luck. This effort by Stewart was more luck than skill. But hey, that's just my opinionated slant. No harm, no foul.

#12 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City of the Plains

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

i just dislike the American League. I never really thought much about the Sox. I grew up in the northwest burbs and I honestly didn't know the Sox were a team until i started seriously collecting cards in 87 (i had been to at least 3 Cubs games by then). WGN didn't show them. I really knew no one who liked the sox, never saw a sox shirt or bumper sticker. it was more likley to see a Cardinals logo than the white sox back then, up north. The few Sox fans I knew were petty cool and usually had their roots in the southside. Recently though, more White Sox fans define themselves by not their love of the sox, comiskey, the southside, or the players... but by their hatred for the Cubs. I try to remain indifferent to Sox fans but because there is a literal shit ton of Cub-haters and band wagon jumpers that represent this team... its hard to like the team or give the fans the benefit of the doubt. I have one friend who is the real deal good guy awesome sox fan. i find myself rooting for them on occasion, just because he is such a good baseball guy, but then i pull my head out of my ass.

#13 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hey, I can appreciate a perfecto and as a seasoned fan of this great game am well aware how special and unique it is... [but t]his effort by Stewart was more luck than skill.

All perfect games are more luck than skill. All. Otherwise, with the dozens of incredible, highly-skiled pitchers in baseball's history there would have been more than twenty perfect games over the last 135 years! I just can't believe that anyone would root against a perfect game no matter how 'seasoned' (or 'deserving') the pitcher. Would you root against Starlin Castro hitting safely in 57 straight games?

(OK, I'll admit, if it's happening against the Cubs in the final game of the World Series I'd probably root against the pitcher...)

#14 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

I can think of a couple guys against whom I root if throwing a perfect game. In fact I did root against one a couple years ago...

#15 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

I imagine that if Lance Berkman was pitching a perfect game one afternoon, I'd probably root against him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).