Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Just Say No! Why the Red Sox Don't Deserve Sh## for Theo.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

The unresolved issue of what the Cubs owe the Red Sawx for Theo Epstein is apparently now on Bud Selig's desk. It is obviously not on in a prominent spot on his desk, or maybe it's under his picture of Jerry Reinsdorf. (I wonder what that desk looks like? Is it Presidential looking, or does it look like Tonys desk from The Sopranos?) Either way Cub fans continue to wait to see just what our beloved team is going to have to give up. We have heard everything from Matt Garza(keep dreamin' Gammons, Luccino and Cafardo....hey that sounds like a law firm!) to minimal prospects or cash.

They should get nuthin, or next to nuthin.( they don't even deserve correct spelling) Why? Is it because I am looking at it through Blue Cubbie Bear Kool-Aid glasses?( No, I haven't worn those in a long, long time...probably since the late 80's) No, my reasoning is a bit more fair and balanced.(insert own Fox News joke) Here is a novel idea: If you have an employee that you don't want to lose, and another team asks permission to interview him...just say no. If he is really that valuable to you, keep him! You had the power Mr. Luccino(who probably knows Tony Soprano), you could have kept Theo in Boston. You can't have it both ways.

Let's look at the NFL for example. Once the regular season ends, teams start ah firin' and ah hirin'! It's a mad scramble to fill positions at all levels. Most organizations say yes and allow teams to interview people, especially if it is for a promotion.( which by the way, Theo's was, albeit done in a very sly method) Sometimes those teams lose key guys, sometimes they don't, (take Mike Tice! Please!) and sometimes teams say no. However when they are hired away, they don't get anything for them. I know, I know, the Red Sox were promised a "significant return", which semantically could mean Brett Jackson, or a couple of Starbucks gift cards.( Thats why Theo was there!)

It didn't need to get this far, Mr. Luccino could have said no.....but he didn't. For yet my third Sopranos referrence...(which will be lost on you if you didn't watch the show, to whom then I would ask...What's wrong with you?)...I hope Selig handles this like Carmine did when Johnny Sack was demanding that he be allowed to "whack" Ralphie, and Carmine would not allow it. Johnny kept going, and in sit-down, after sit-down, as Johnny conitinues to whine about it Carmine finally says:

"It's over John. Name your f#%ing price and get the f#$k over it. End of story"

I doubt Mr. Selig has seen that episode.

#2 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

Honestly, I have never seen the Sopranos, but I do appreciate the Henny Youngman reference.

#3 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

I think you make the fair point that the longer this hangs, the worse it is for baseball in general.

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

you got the Youngman thing!....Stinky, Stinky....you are good...and you know the secrets of Strat!

#5 MontelleW_IA

MontelleW_IA

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Iowa

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one! They had the 'Power of No' (Everybody Loves Raymond reference hehe), and they didn't use it. As any kid knows - Too bad, So Sad!
-Montelle
"Hey Bartender! Jobu needs a refill!"

#6 Coach Harris

Coach Harris

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

I got the Henny Youngman too, only because Henry takes Karen to go see him in Goodfellas. Had it not been for Goodfellas...it would have been lost on me.

"Take my wife, Please!"

#7 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

Ha! Harry Youngman

But I completely agree with you that the Sox don't deserve sh!t. In addition to what you said, they have 0 leverage. Its not like they can take Theo back, he's already under contract. They let Theo go interview, knowing the risks of ALLOWING him to interview with the Cubs, and now they are demanding compensation for a situation that they could have prevented.
So in the infamous words of Judge Smails:

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#8 jwmann2

jwmann2

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Twitter:fromthisseat
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

Since when do front office staff be included in team and roster transactions?
MLB Ballparks
Tell Us About Your Seats At Wrigley Field

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).