NL_Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Twitter:NL_Cubs
  • LocationTransplanted Chicagoan Living in Virginia

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

I rediscovered whiskey / whisky about a year ago and really enjoy a good dram or two a few times per week. I continue to be amazed at the different flavor profiles of this intriguing libation.

Currently some of my favorite upper and lower shelf whisk(e)y's include: Highland Park 12/18, Lagavulin 16, Compass Box Flaming Heart (3rd), anything from the Parker's Heritage Collection, Abraham Bowman Rye (Barrel Strength), Pappy Van Winkle 15, Ancient Ancient Age 10, Jim Beam Black Label, OldRip Van Winkle 10/107.

Any fellow baseball fans who are also whisk(e)y enthusiasts, please belly up to the bar and join in this conversation. Would love to compare notes.
"You gotta love baseball before you love the Cubs"

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

I'm almost done with the bottle of Highland Park that I've been working on. Very nice, but after I'm done I think I'll go back to an Islay whisky. Probably either Laphroig or Lagavulin as they are easier to find around here. NL, have you tried Ardbeg? One of my favorites for a great peaty, smokey flavor.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 NL_Cubs

NL_Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

I'm a seasonal peat head but reaching for those smokey Islay bottles I find to be as the weather gets cool. Ardbeg has wonderful expressions. I've got a couple bottles of "The Beast" and Uigeadail in the bunker. My third bottle of Scotch purchased...Laphroaig 10! Talk about jumping in head first! Love it.

#4 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

I'm typically more of a bourbon guy than a whiskey guy, but that doesnt stop me from having a bottle of Blue Label at the back of the cabinet for those special occasions. A couple of friends of mine and I did share a bit of Macallan 25 year last weekend. Quite smooth.

My go-to standards for bourbon drinking tend to be Makers or Bulleit. If I want to step it up a notch, I'll reach for an Eagle Trace or a Bakers. One of my faves of late has been Jefferson Reserve, a strong and surprisingly smooth libation.

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

Speaking of Bourbon, I'm a big fan of Woodford Reserve.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#6 NL_Cubs

NL_Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

Love Bourbon as well. Last May me and my BIL did the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Hit seven distilleries and one Cooperage before heading up to Cincy to see the Cubs. Awesome trip, awesome experience!

My favorite Bourbon has to be Pappy 15. Favorite rye is Abraham Bowman Ltd Edition Barrel Strength. Those two would be my "if on a desert island" stash.

#7 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

Isn't it a little early for this thread? Alcoholics, hippies, degenerates, and some guy named Toosh. What is this board coming to?

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

Isn't it a little early for this thread? Alcoholics, hippies, degenerates, and some guy named Toosh. What is this board coming to?

To the BEST PLACE EVER! I don't drink much hard liquor, I tend to drink it at the same pace that I would drink beer... and that is a Goat you don't want to meet. I did enjoy my time on a Kentucky Bourbon tour and really enjoyed dipping my own bottle of Maker's Mark and then drinking it alone on a depressing evening. Depression is about the only time I want whiskey and I prefer my drinking to be of a celebratory nature.

I am a simply a beer guy that just doesn't play around with the other libations.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

I went on the Kentucky bourbon tour as well. That was the drunkest weekend ever. I started out in Kentucky on Saturday and was in South Dakota on Tuesday, and none of us remember the trip or the reasoning for it to this day.

#10 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

Love Bourbon as well. Last May me and my BIL did the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Hit seven distilleries and one Cooperage before heading up to Cincy to see the Cubs. Awesome trip, awesome experience!

My favorite Bourbon has to be Pappy 15. Favorite rye is Abraham Bowman Ltd Edition Barrel Strength. Those two would be my "if on a desert island" stash.

That's something I'd love to do. I love bourbon. Down here and in Mississippi it is the drink of choice for most. Low end, I'm an Old Charter guy. In fact, I love it. Higher end, Woodford Reserve or Knobb Creek are wonderful.

I do bourbon straight or splash it with a little water. That way you hydrate while dehydrating. Makes hangovers more tolerable.

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,647 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Speaking of Bourbon, I'm a big fan of Woodford Reserve.

That's about the only whiskey/bourbon/whatever that I like.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hey, fuckit, man, imma bump this thread.

Been on a rye whiskey kick recently. Hot DAMZ, baby! Smooooooth stuff. Loving the Bulleit Rye. It's almost minty.

#13 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hah! I was just squirreling around in the bottom of the kitchen cabinet (looking for a long-errant onion that was letting its decomposition known about the whole kitchen) this AM, when I stumbled on an empty Ardbeg bottle.
I went to throw out the dead, Scottish soldier when I noticed a sign of life in him. I had to take out the cork, just for a whiff to clear my olfactory system of the odor of old onion.
The whisky's peaty smell brought me back to a fire I enjoyed with a few friends last fall. I put the nearly empty bottle and its micro-serving of whisky back for safe keeping.
Timely bump, TWC

#14 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I was wondering where you've been, FFP. Now we know...now we know.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#15 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

So Knob Creek Rye -- bought a bottle on a whim -- is a bit too rough. Missing the crispness that other ryes have. That's kinda my problem w/ Knob Creek in general though. Once you get to 50% (or above) in ABV you kind of lose the subtle flavors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).