King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

I did one on Friday afternoon and I came away with a pretty loaded team, and still had the opportunity to draft a few highly regarded prospects in the last few rounds. I wanted to avoid taking Cubs players, but Ian Stewart was available pretty late in the draft, so I took him. I hope that I can show some Cub restraint when it comes to the live draft, I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of reaching for Cubs, and I don't want to get involved in that.

#17 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

I did one on Friday afternoon and I came away with a pretty loaded team, and still had the opportunity to draft a few highly regarded prospects in the last few rounds. I wanted to avoid taking Cubs players, but Ian Stewart was available pretty late in the draft, so I took him. I hope that I can show some Cub restraint when it comes to the live draft, I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of reaching for Cubs, and I don't want to get involved in that.

The only Cubs players I would consider getting would be Garza and Soto... Stewart and LaHair also wouldn't be terrible picks I suppose
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#18 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

I think Castro might be worth considering. I think Wood, Russell, and maybe Samrdzija could have value as RP's depending on how things play out in spring training. Also, Soriano will have some value since he has some pop still. I won't be targeting any of them, but I also have Cub bias, so I will have to be careful not to overvalue them.

#19 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

I think Castro might be worth considering. I think Wood, Russell, and maybe Samrdzija could have value as RP's depending on how things play out in spring training. Also, Soriano will have some value since he has some pop still. I won't be targeting any of them, but I also have Cub bias, so I will have to be careful not to overvalue them.

Oh yea, duh... Castro is honestly my preferred option at SS... but I doubt he'll be around when I get to draft...

#20 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

I pick at number 22. In the mock draft, Castro went to Goat at number 19 I think, I ended up taking Lincecum in the first, and then got Elvis Andrus with the second pick. I'd be thrilled if it worked out that way again, there aren't very many top level shorstops.

#21 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Definitely not many good shortstops out there right now.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#22 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

I pick at number 22. In the mock draft, Castro went to Goat at number 19 I think, I ended up taking Lincecum in the first, and then got Elvis Andrus with the second pick. I'd be thrilled if it worked out that way again, there aren't very many top level shorstops.

Yeah, when I went through my first mock draft, I didn't take a shortstop until round 13. I don't remember who it was, but he wasn't memorable.

Of course, since I wound up with a pitching staff of Lincecum, Cain, Price, and Wilson I didn't feel too bad about it.

#23 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

I will not be drafting Castro with #19

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#24 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

I think your going for V35.

#25 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

Well, ya, I am taking him at #13 or do you want to take closers early on? Which position is most like the kicker? I always draft a kicker in the first round.

Just did my first draft with 24 teams and good God does it get ugly quick. Took Kershaw, McCann, Castro, BJ Upton, Freeman, Chris Capenter, Rasmus, Ogando, Mike Minor, Carlos Quentin and then crap followed by more crap, some urine, a little vomit, finished off by crap. Basically, my first large draft and I stunk it up. Thinking I may want to auto-draft, similar to someone else on here, I do best when I don't draft.

#26 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

Im almost afraid to post anymore about my draft strategy lol... I dont want to give away all my picks

#27 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Im almost afraid to post anymore about my draft strategy lol... I dont want to give away all my picks

I sort of feel the same way. I've got a fair idea what I'm going to do, and I'm pretty sure it is going to back fire on me in historic fashion, but I'm not sure I want to tip my hand too early.

I'd hate for someone to sneak in and grab all the mediocre middle relievers and bench middle infielders ahead of me...

#28 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

I'd hate for someone to sneak in and grab all the mediocre middle relievers and bench middle infielders ahead of me...

A-ha! Now you've revealed your strategy!

#29 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

I agree. I've done two drafts, and both worked out pretty damn well for me. If everyone picks players in order of default rank and roster spot, I should have an excellent season. If anyone is not having a robot draft for them, I may need to adjust my strategy.

#30 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

Unless something comes up to keep me away, I plan to do my own drafting. I've done a couple of mock drafts now. Unfortunately, half of them have not gone well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).