fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

I see him also a guy valued for his "intangibles" and being a good teammate in the locker room. Had a couple good years for the team.

#17 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Isn't the WAR stat something that can't be compared from year to year because the bar of "replacement" changes each season?

That is what I thought as well. The disclaimer for WAR that I always heard was that it's only useful from year to year, because the value you are comparing each year against changes every year. The stat is too inconsistent. Greg Maddux's sub 2.00 era seasons were 8 WAR seasons when they occured(94-95). If they had happened three years later, both would have been over 10 WAR seasons. If that makes any sense.

#18 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Isn't the WAR stat something that can't be compared from year to year because the bar of "replacement" changes each season?

That is what I thought as well. The disclaimer for WAR that I always heard was that it's only useful from year to year, because the value you are comparing each year against changes every year. The stat is too inconsistent. Greg Maddux's sub 2.00 era seasons were 8 WAR seasons when they occured(94-95). If they had happened three years later, both would have been over 10 WAR seasons. If that makes any sense.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that you can't use WAR to compare across generations. The statistic is comparing the players to others in the league at the same time. So when you compare two players from different times, you are just saying, "Player A was this good relative to his contemporaries and Player B was this good relative to his." Probably more useful than just looking at ERA, which can be deflated or inflated depending on the era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).