Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Why are the Pirates trading for AJ Burnett?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

I don't get this? I could see him bouncing back a bit in the NL...but the Pirates?... and with the Yankees not having to eat all of the money?...

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:22 AM

Edwin Jackson and Roy Oswalt both spurned them so they're getting desperate. They're trying to get the fans to believe in them, and they have a shot at a winning record if Alvarez ever gets his shit together.

#3 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

OK.....I can see that a bit.....I still think they should be able to get him without taking on much of the money....his contract is almost the pitching version of Soriano

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

The Yanks are supposedly needing to free up some money to sign a DH and last I heard they wanted the Pirates to pay 3-4M plus trade them a player. I can actually see this happening, but to think the Yanks are trying to save money might just bring the Boss back from the grave. Zombie George "Spend Money"

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

They're willing to pick up a significant part of the tab if the Pirates send Garrett Jones over, who would presumably be their DH, but Pittsburgh hasn't budged.

#6 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

I think they see Burnett as a viable 4-5 starting pitcher, who they could get for $5m a year for the next few years, and is likely to bounce back in a big way.

Last year, his xFIP was 3.86, a pretty solid number. He was plagued by a ludicrous 17% HR/FB ratio, which is not sustainable. A move away from the loaded (both in elite players and tiny ballparks) AL East into a weak NL Central would, presumably, help him get that ERA to a much more valuable area. If he were to stay reasonably healthy and put up 4.10-4.40 ERA's over the next two years in Pittsburgh, which I feel is extremely possible, the trade would be worth it for the Pirates.

And from a contention point of view, those 2 WAR or so he would provide could be gigantic in such a weak division, especially if McCutchen becomes the megastar he's expected to, and Alvarez starts playing like he can. (At least in 2013, cause the Reds are going for it this year)

#7 CarolinaCubsFan

CarolinaCubsFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationThe Piedmont of North Carolina

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

Edwin Jackson and Roy Oswalt both spurned them so they're getting desperate. They're trying to get the fans to believe in them, and they have a shot at a winning record if Alvarez ever gets his shit together.

I agree with this statement. To me, this smells of the ownership trying to do what it can to try and convince the fan base, and themselves if you think about it, that they are truly trying to compete, and not just forgetting that they were once 51-44 and in 1st place in the Central division last year ... or considering it a flash in the pan. If I am a Pirates fan, this is the best I have felt about my team in years. There is, if nothing else, legitimate hope that they can win again.

#8 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

I don't get this either. If they needed pitching this badly, why didn't they just re-sign Paul Maholm? He is clearly a better option than AJ Burnett at this point.

#9 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

(UPDATE) Apparently the Yanks aren't impressed with the package Pittsburgh has offered and look like they're holding out for Jones, who I remember being a hoss when he came up to the league but has been average the past couple years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).