Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:37 AM

When I was in college in the 80's (yes...I know before many of you bastards were born) watching Late Night With David Letterman and the Top Ten list was a nightly ritual. So while I was supposed to be paying attention in my Middle East and Africa class I would be writing silly little top tens...honing my skills, practicing for the day I would use them on a world famous blog...

As I was perusing ESPN the other day a banner came up promoting the sale of Cub tickets...it said "Baseball is Better Here...and Baseball is Better in the Day"

Come on! Really? We get this new regime and our marketing slogan is straight out of Field of Dreams? Lame, Lame, Lame! This could be for any stupid Cub season...So here are some other reasons to come for 2012 (don't take these personal, I am a fan)

9. See the Baltimore Orioles of tomorrow...today!

8. We have a big-ass TV in RF now

7. We are Statue-rific! The only team in the MLB with more statues than titles( note...avoid taking children to the Harry Carey statue as they may be frightened by the littany of souls that appear to be trapped below Harry)

6. Watch for Celebrities! Like John Cusack...Jim Belushi...Eddie Vedder and "funnyman" Tom Driessan (note...he is not funny at all)

5. Our bleachers are now 90% safer with the departures of Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder.

4. The Food Is.....well, it's just garbage...no way to sugarcoat this one..

3. Pretend you are a barnyard animal as you pee in a trough

2. Everyday is a Chance to See History..."I was at the game where Darwin Barney hit his homerun this season!"

1. As bad as we might be...we are still relevant!...I am looking at you Jerry Reinsdorf and Kenny Williams!

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

You forgot one:

You might shake hand with Tom Ricketts

or

Tease Red Sox Fans - WE HAVE THEO BITCHES

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 frozentoews

frozentoews

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Twitter:@johnguminski
  • Facebook:johnguminski

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

Good stuff.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Darwin Barney bulked up this Winter, so there will probably be about 45 chances to catch a Barney homer this year (and that's just at home).

#5 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

After being harrassed by New Yorkers for the better part of a century, a mid-westerner's "tease" might by misconstrued by a Red Sox fan as ineffective flirting.

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Come see the Cubs, we don't hate walks anymore!!!!!!

#7 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Come see the Cubs. We've got uniforms and everything.

I sure love to see them win but a bad day at Wrigley beats a great day at the office. Especially if you are lucky enough to have someone you love to share the experience. Never gets old to me and I doubt it ever will.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#8 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

I sure love to see them win but a bad day at Wrigley beats a great day at the office. Especially if you are lucky enough to have someone you love to share the experience. Never gets old to me and I doubt it ever will.

I definitely agree. I know we like to kid, but man, oh man, I love baseball, and I love the Cubs, and I really really love going to see a game at Wrigley.

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

I hear people say things like " the only reason that people go to Wrigley all the time is because of the atmosphere". While I don't like the douchers who only go because of their trust fund parent's have season tickets or a luxury box, I don't see what's wrong with having such a great atmosphere at the ballpark that people come just to see the stadium and surrounding neighborhood. If I only had a few weeks to live, and could do whatever I wanted, I would spend the last few weeks hanging around Wrigleyville and going to as many games as I could. Even in snow, rain, sleet, and freezing temperatures, I have never not had a great time at Wrigley. I don't feel ashamed that I would still rather go to Wrigley and watch the Cubs lose day after day, than go to any other park and cheer for any other team.

#10 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

This thread makes me ashamed that I haven't seen a game at Wrigley since...

I... Don't... Know.

Guessing? I'd have to say 1997. I've seen a good dozen or more games here at AT&T, one in Oakland, and one in St Louis since then, but no Wrigley. I look forward to making amends this July.

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

I... Don't... Know.

Guessing? I'd have to say 1997. I've seen a good dozen or more games here at AT&T, one in Oakland, and one in St Louis since then, but no Wrigley. I look forward to making amends this July.

When in July?

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

I... Don't... Know.

When in July?

7/13 vs the Diamondbacks. Friday afternoon. That's the plan, at least. Single-game fix don't go on sale for another few weeks, I think, but since we're leaving to come back home the next day, it's the only option at this point.

Edit: Oh, sweet! It's a promotional game! Free beer koozies~!

Edited by TWC, 13 February 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#13 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

I haven't been to Wrigley since 2003 other than when I was selected as a finalist for that contest to sing "take me out to the ballgame" that some cancer kid won a couple years ago. My audition was in the trainer's room, so that was pretty cool.

#14 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

I hear people say things like " the only reason that people go to Wrigley all the time is because of the atmosphere". While I don't like the douchers who only go because of their trust fund parent's have season tickets or a luxury box, I don't see what's wrong with having such a great atmosphere at the ballpark that people come just to see the stadium and surrounding neighborhood. If I only had a few weeks to live, and could do whatever I wanted, I would spend the last few weeks hanging around Wrigleyville and going to as many games as I could. Even in snow, rain, sleet, and freezing temperatures, I have never not had a great time at Wrigley. I don't feel ashamed that I would still rather go to Wrigley and watch the Cubs lose day after day, than go to any other park and cheer for any other team.

Amen brother! There's just something magical about it. There's not many things I'm a sentimental sap about but going to Wrigley is one of them. I would love to retire, buy a condo in Wrigleyville, sell a kidney (my liver ain't worth shit) and somehow get season tickets and spend every home game there. I can't wait to take my kids there.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#15 santofan10

santofan10

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

I sense a tinge of wealth envy, sir.

Don't be jealous of the guy with the trust fund.

Question why your parents didn't bless you with one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).