24 replies to this topic

#16 NolaCub

NolaCub

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

Come see the Cubs. We've got uniforms and everything.

I sure love to see them win but a bad day at Wrigley beats a great day at the office. Especially if you are lucky enough to have someone you love to share the experience. Never gets old to me and I doubt it ever will.

I hear people say things like " the only reason that people go to Wrigley all the time is because of the atmosphere". While I don't like the douchers who only go because of their trust fund parent's have season tickets or a luxury box, I don't see what's wrong with having such a great atmosphere at the ballpark that people come just to see the stadium and surrounding neighborhood. If I only had a few weeks to live, and could do whatever I wanted, I would spend the last few weeks hanging around Wrigleyville and going to as many games as I could. Even in snow, rain, sleet, and freezing temperatures, I have never not had a great time at Wrigley. I don't feel ashamed that I would still rather go to Wrigley and watch the Cubs lose day after day, than go to any other park and cheer for any other team.

Amen brother! There's just something magical about it. There's not many things I'm a sentimental sap about but going to Wrigley is one of them. I would love to retire, buy a condo in Wrigleyville, sell a kidney (my liver ain't worth shit) and somehow get season tickets and spend every home game there. I can't wait to take my kids there.

I second all of that! I've only been to Wrigley for a handful of games, but I count myself lucky to have visited one of the most beautiful venues for a game anywhere. The green grass...the ivy...the smell of the stadium on gameday...drinking copious amounts of Old Style beer...I can't wait to get back next season!

#17 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Come see the Cubs. We've got uniforms and everything.

I sure love to see them win but a bad day at Wrigley beats a great day at the office. Especially if you are lucky enough to have someone you love to share the experience. Never gets old to me and I doubt it ever will.

I hear people say things like " the only reason that people go to Wrigley all the time is because of the atmosphere". While I don't like the douchers who only go because of their trust fund parent's have season tickets or a luxury box, I don't see what's wrong with having such a great atmosphere at the ballpark that people come just to see the stadium and surrounding neighborhood. If I only had a few weeks to live, and could do whatever I wanted, I would spend the last few weeks hanging around Wrigleyville and going to as many games as I could. Even in snow, rain, sleet, and freezing temperatures, I have never not had a great time at Wrigley. I don't feel ashamed that I would still rather go to Wrigley and watch the Cubs lose day after day, than go to any other park and cheer for any other team.

Amen brother! There's just something magical about it. There's not many things I'm a sentimental sap about but going to Wrigley is one of them. I would love to retire, buy a condo in Wrigleyville, sell a kidney (my liver ain't worth shit) and somehow get season tickets and spend every home game there. I can't wait to take my kids there.

I second all of that! I've only been to Wrigley for a handful of games, but I count myself lucky to have visited one of the most beautiful venues for a game anywhere. The green grass...the ivy...the smell of the stadium on gameday...drinking copious amounts of Old Style beer...I can't wait to get back next season!

Can you imagine how exciting it will be when they are playing on the south side? I can't wait!

#18 Twinkletoez

Twinkletoez

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTinley Park

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

7. We are Statue-rific! The only team in the MLB with more statues than titles( note...avoid taking children to the Harry Carey statue as they may be frightened by the littany of souls that appear to be trapped below Harry)

You might want to change that to World Series Titles, the Cubs have 8 titles 1876-1880-1881-1882-1885-1886-1907-1908

On the bright side, outside of their first championship in 1876, every time they have won the championship its been back to back championship :D

#19 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Can anything really beat a beautiful late Spring day at Wrigley drinking a beer or eight?
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#20 BFiddy

BFiddy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Twitter:Bridger_Macau
  • Facebook:Bridger Fetters
  • LocationMacau

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Can anything really beat a beautiful late Spring day at Wrigley drinking a beer or eight?

How about a beautiful, late-spring day at Wrigley drinking two beers or sixteen?
And that's a bad miss...

#21 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

How about a beautiful, late-spring day at Wrigley drinking two beers or sixteen?

I'm too cheap for that many beers...hip flask!
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#22 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

you might even see a brawl in the bleachers!

#23 cys_av8r

cys_av8r

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Last year was the first year in a LOOOONG time I didn't make it to a game in the friendly confines. I have 2 trips scheduled right now for this spring/summer with some buddies. I will likely add one more with the fam.

#24 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

This thread makes me ashamed that I haven't seen a game at Wrigley since...

I... Don't... Know.

Guessing? I'd have to say 1997. I've seen a good dozen or more games here at AT&T, one in Oakland, and one in St Louis since then, but no Wrigley. I look forward to making amends this July.

I went to a game at AT&T last year. Not a bad place to see a game but man do they have a bunch of electronic signs. I sat about 10 rows back on the LF side. Just walked by PETCO Park and took some photos. The dog park behind CF is a little weird but it is PETCO.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#25 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Seeing a game in person is so different than watching it on TV. When I visit a new park I admit I watch less of the game than everything else. At Wrigley it was the day crowd. The workers not at work, sharing a day away from the grind. It made it feel like it was a holiday. I'm sad you're losing some (more of this), but perhaps the vibe will remain.

I'd like to make a trip out for the Boston series in June. What I'd watch for this year if I were seeing Red Sox at Wrigley is Jacoby Ellsbury. I usually don't go in for this stuff, but he can move beautifully. You can't see it on TV. Although he can make a bad initial read of a ball, when he does draw a bead, he is fluid-fast.

And, Jacoby on the bases...

One reason to be looking at this year's Cubs is communication about pitch selection. Who is calling the pitches? Who is shaking off signs and when? What new strategies is Sveum using (that I'm not going to read about in the papers)? Why? Are pitchers working out of the stretch more? Does this really mean they are holding men on, or is it just to contain pitching mechanics? Which pitchers?
And on the offensive side of the game, which player is spending the most time studying previous ABs on video during the game? Lahair can't have had the resources during winter ball or in Iowa that he'll have access to during the bottom halves at Wrigley. Is that going to be an advantage or a distraction?

These are some things that are going to make me nuts this year, trying to root for a team I can't just go watch. I will be reading here looking for an answer or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).