Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

FOR THE 3 OR 4 OTHER HOCKEY FANS WHO FREQUENT BN....What's Wrong With Our Hawks?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

The good news-the Hawks just need to get into the play-offs. The bad-news-the way they are playing they may not win another game. Here are some reasons for ALL of you hockey fans out there.

1. AVERAGE DEFENSE AND AVERAGE GOALTENDERS The 09-10 Cup champs had average goaltending too...but they had a great defense. With injuries, the Campbell trade, Keith not being Keith, the Hawks defense is a shadow of it's former self, and Crawford and Emery are average.

2. TOEWS AND SHARP ARE PLAYING HURT Hockey players play hurt...really hurt...Sharp is plaing with a broken bone in his arm that needs surgery, Toews has a pretty serious wrist injury that the Hawks are downplaying. These are not "day-to day" baseball or basketball injuries...but they will keep playing.

3. PATRICK KANE IS NOT IMPROVING, AND IS CLOSE TO BEING CALLED "OVERRATED" I felt last year that the Hawks should have required Kane to room with Toews in the off-season and mirror whatever he does. Captain Serious is the ultimate team guy and the hardest working athlete in Chciago. Kane's...shall we say...daliances are pretty common knowledge. Tremendously skilled player who needs to take his game to the next level.

4. THE POWER PLAY IS PATHETIC With as much o-ffensive skill that the Hawks can put on the ice during a PP, there is no excuse for how horrible it has been. Time to change strategies...this is why we have you caoches!

5. BRUTAL PART OF THE SCHEDULE AND BAD LUCK Nine straight road games after playing Nashville twice without Toews and Sharp...but it's not going to get easier. Hockey is one of those silly games where when things are not going your way, every bounce is bad, every other goalie stands on his head...and you hit iron on your shots.

The Hawks have a ton of cap-room and if we see things turn around here, it could turn around quick. Oh for one more defenseman, and one more center...

If you hate hockey, or are not interested, you may find this a waste of BN space...but I know there are a few more of us ou there. Hang in there. I still believe the Hawks are the team in Chicago most poised to be good for the long term.

#2 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

I don't get enough of the games on TV down here at school, but the few games I've seen lately have left me with the following impressions:

1. Laziness. It's an extremely ugly word, but its what I see. Lazy passing and lazy defense, to be exact. I swear, every game there seems to be a multitude of breakaways against the Hawks, many more so than I feel like I've ever normally seen in a game. This is the consequence of a team that gets lazy with its passing in the offensive and neutral zones, and gives up the puck an inordinate amount of times. And once a team has gotten the puck into the Hawks' zone, they're able to keep the puck for way too long, cause Hawks players are simply not getting in the way of enough shots, or winning enough of the battles against the boards.

2. Lack of improvement from young players. Hjalmarsson has not gotten any better since he was younger, nor has Stalberg, nor has Kane, nor has Leddy, nor has Crawford. I know, a lot of these guys are still young, but the fact that their development is stagnant is infuriating.

3. Those 3rd and 4th lines are garbage. Completely and utterly worthless.

4. My biggest problem, as a whole, is that this team appears, to me, to be a very poor passing team. One of the characteristics that really stood out to me of the Stanley Cup winning team was its superior passing ability. They rarely dumped and chased to get into the zone, they were able to keep possession of the puck for extraordinary amounts of time. This team cannot do this at all. Its why their powerplay is bad, its why their defense is bad, its why they're not scoring enough and giving up so many breakaways. They cannot keep possession of the puck. It's a killer on offense when a perfectly run play is not executed because the pass missed by a foot and a half, and it happens way too often. This is the biggest flaw I see right now, and its very frustrating.

Also, yea, injuries hurt.

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

To avoid an angry rant, goaltending and defense. It's pretty clear that they kept the wrong young defensemen (Hammer over Byufglen), and that Crawford isn't a Stanley Cup goaltender all year round. Kane has taken a step back this year, and Toews and Sharp are both banged up. I think that they need to go after a top of the line goalie, or their other flaws are going to keep showing up and biting them in the ass.

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

they play in the same division as the Red Wings

#5 frozentoews

frozentoews

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Twitter:@johnguminski
  • Facebook:johnguminski

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

When the defense is good, Crawford is good. And Vice-Versa. 2 + 7 need to get things straightened out and 4 is just lost out there.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

How bout them Red Wings

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#7 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

GO CAPS!

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#8 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

GO CAPS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGkuDR3VymE

I used to love watching Ovechkin play. He was easily the best player in the game in my mind, and it wasn't even close. But the last few years he just hasn't been his old self, and he's merely just one of the top 10 or so players in the game. I don't get to see him on an everyday basis, though, so I don't really know what happened...

#9 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

has Ovi ever made a player headbutt his teammate in the nuts?

#10 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCKLRkqvCdM

has Ovi ever made a player headbutt his teammate in the nuts?

That was dirty
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#11 hawkcub

hawkcub

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationN.E. Iowa

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

Could be worse you could be fans of the Wild like me.

#12 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

I'm a big 'hawks fan, too... it's been torturous watching them this year. We need some goaltending... The bad part of that is, if the Blackhawks go shopping for a top level goaltender, they will have to give up someone... Kane has been mentioned. Maybe with the way Kane isn't progressing, that wouldn't be so bad. They need to pull the trigger on it, before Kane's value declines even more.

The Stanley Cup season was one of my favorite seasons as a fan (I've had so few in my life!), but it was so disheartening to see the team dismantled so quickly. I think one of their biggest losses was Byufglen.. really enjoyed watching him play.

Their power playing and power play killing has been just horrible.

Things better be changing soon, or we won't have to worry about the playoffs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).