Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

Remeber when many Cub fans went ape-shit when Hendry traded Mark DeRosa? One of the guys we got in that deal was lefty John Gaub(this is not meant to defend Hendry per se, but to show how trades may look different over time)

apparently the new brass was pleased to find out what they have in Gaub as they are looking at him to be a lefty out of the pen....

at 26 Gaub is a power lefty, who has been consistently a K per inning guy in the minors...last year striking out 75 in 55 innings at Iowa..

you won't find him on any sexy top prospects list but he is the kind of guy who could fill a very valuable role....

oh, and if he succeeds, he will be cheap for many years to come

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

I've liked him the few times I've seen him pitch. If Grabow had not owned dirty pictures of both Hendry and Quade, we probably would have seen more of him.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

He can strike guys out, but can he stop walking them? His BB/9 numbers have always been terrible, and they'll be his undoing in the bigs.

I look forward to seeing him get a chance, but if a "young" lefty is to make the pen in 2012, my money is on Jeff Beliveau.

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Oh Brett...you and your silly issue of control.....

yeah I admit it....I am enamored with K's and dont always look too closely....

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Gaub is nice (if a bit walk-y for my tastes), but he has to beat out Scott Maine (nice Ks, not so nice BBs), and Jeff Beliveau (look at his 2011 stats... now stop drooling before you damage your keyboard) to claim a regular job in the bullpen.

That is going to be a fight worth watching. Other than the battle for backup catcher, it might be the best one in camp.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

I've always thought that John Gaub was the type of dude that some other team's fan blog is going to rave about (as the 'prize' of the deal) when the Cubs end up including him on a mid-season trade. But, hey, you know how those fan blogs are…

Remeber when many Cub fans went ape-shit when Hendry traded Mark DeRosa?

I love hearing people bitch about trading DeRosa. Freaking LOVE it. 'Cause I know right away they have no idea what they're talking about.

#7 frozentoews

frozentoews

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Twitter:@johnguminski
  • Facebook:johnguminski

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

I've always thought that John Gaub was the type of dude that some other team's fan blog is going to rave about (as the 'prize' of the deal) when the Cubs end up including him on a mid-season trade. But, hey, you know how those fan blogs are…

Remeber when many Cub fans went ape-shit when Hendry traded Mark DeRosa?

I love hearing people bitch about trading DeRosa. Freaking LOVE it. 'Cause I know right away they have no idea what they're talking about.

My heart hurt after that, but obviously my headed didn't. I hope, as Brett mentioned, Gaub brings down his walks. He could be a potential pen member.

#8 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

I will eat my words if he pans out, but I think John Gaub is going to be not so good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).