#1 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

A very important set of decisions the Cubs will have to make by November 20 relate to the Rule 5 Draft (in short, other teams can take some of your minor league players if they've been in your system for a certain number of years without cracking the 40-man roster - it's to prohibit teams from hoarding young talent, and never letting it see the bigs).

The Cubs have a number of interesting young players eligible for the Rule 5 Draft this year, who aren't yet on the 40-man roster (thanks to TCR for the list):

Abner Abreu, OF
Jeffry Antigua, LHP
Jeffrey Beliveau, LHP
Smaily Borges, OF
Michael Brenly, C
Justin Bristow, RHP
Michael Burgess, OF
Kyler Burke, LHP (ex-OF)
David Cales, RHP
Matt Camp, IF-OF
Hung-Wen Chen, RHP
Steve Clevenger, C-1B
Manolin DeLeon, RHP
Eduardo Figueroa, RHP
Ryan Flaherty, INF
Luis Flores, C
Marwin Gonzalez, IF-OF
Yohan Gonzalez, RHP
Gian Guzman, INF-RHP
Marcus Hatley, RHP
Jay Jackson, RHP
Junior Lake, INF
Blake Lalli, 1B-C
Jordan Latham, RHP
David Macias, IF-OF
Oswaldo Martinez, RHP
Craig Muschko, RHP
Jon Nagel, RHP
Jake Opitz, INF
Blake Parker, RHP
Nelson Perez, OF
Ramon Reyes, RHP
Dae-Eun Rhee, RHP
Rebel Ridling, 1B
Carlos Romero, C
Nate Samson, INF
Ryan Searle, RHP
Marquez Smith, INF
Matt Spencer, 1B-OF
Larry Suarez, RHP
Matt Szczur, OF
Jose Tineo, RHP
Josh Vitters, 3B
Ty Wright, OF

On a quick look, the Cubs will have to add Szczur, Vitters, and Flaherty to the 40-man. From there, a bunch of kids might look pretty interesting to a small market team who thinks they can stash him for a season (like the Pirates did with Donald Veal): Suarez, Beliveau, Searle, Antigua, Clevenger, and Jackson.

Obviously the Cubs can't protect everyone - the 40-man stands at 40 with the addition of Bryan LaHair and activation of Andrew Cashner. But there are a number of guys who will be booted at the end of the year. Here's the Cubs' 40-man roster.

Thoughts on who the Cubs should protect, and who the Cubs should boot from the 40-man to protect those players?

#2 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

what in the heck happened to Angel Guzman?

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

what in the heck happened to Angel Guzman?

He was on a one-year minor league deal (and he'll probably do that again next year). He was mostly rehabbing this year - saw decent action at High A Daytona. We'll see what happens next year, but he remains a long-shot to return as a valuable player to the big club. Too many serious arm injuries. Very sad.

#4 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

From those two lists, I would add Vitters, Szczur, Flaherty and Jay Jackson. Also, you got to think Brett Jackson is our starting CF so he will be added as well. So there's five to add. As for who to let go? Berg, Caridad, Cabrera, Mateo, Schlitter all jump off the page to me. Also, I'm praying Lopez and Hill will be bye bye as well. So there should be room for these 5. But I would not let teams snif around Jay Jackson and would protect him. JMO.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

From those two lists, I would add Vitters, Szczur, Flaherty and Jay Jackson. Also, you got to think Brett Jackson is our starting CF so he will be added as well. So there's five to add. As for who to let go? Berg, Caridad, Cabrera, Mateo, Schlitter all jump off the page to me. Also, I'm praying Lopez and Hill will be bye bye as well. So there should be room for these 5. But I would not let teams snif around Jay Jackson and would protect him. JMO.

BJax doesn't have to be added until Spring (if he's the starter next year), so no need to put him on before the Rule 5. Might as well use that spot for a kid you'd like to protect and then see in Spring before making a final decision.

#6 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

BJax doesn't have to be added until Spring (if he's the starter next year), so no need to put him on before the Rule 5. Might as well use that spot for a kid you'd like to protect and then see in Spring before making a final decision.

Oh yeah....doh!

#7 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

Damn, I can't believe Vitters is eligible already. If it was my choice I would dump the following; Justin Berg, A.Cabrera, Grabow, Marcus Mateo, Ramon Ortiz, Schlitter, Kyle Smit, Koyie HIll, Lou Montanez. I'm not sure how they handle impending free agents, but Reed Johnson could join them outside without incident.

As for who to protect there aren't really a whole lot of must keeps on that list, fortunately (or not) most of the best talent is newer and still at the lower levels. I think Abreu, Junior Lake, and Marquez Smith are all guys that probably need protected, whether they are worth it, who knows. I think Dae Euhn Ree, Michael Brenly, and Jeffrey Beliveau are all guys I'd like to see the team keep over the guys I listed that are currently on the 40 man.

What is the maximum service time for someone to avoid the draft? It seems like a few of these guys have only been around for 2 or 3 seasons.

#8 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

Does the Rule 5 draft happen throught the year or is it a date? I read the short description and it was not clearly stated. If it is not a specific date it would make this strategy harder by not offering FA contracts but I would start like this. Hopefully the cubs make the following trades by the 20th.
Trade or release:
Soriano/Byrd
Ramirez
Baker/Dewitt
Grabow
Zombrano to open some spots (hopefully for this discussion they get guys that don't need to be protected).

Then depending on FA rules and the rule 5 you would have spots open up with:
R. Johnson
Pena
K Hill
Ortiz (who I would not resign in the above list) and
Wood
Then you could leave Montanez, Schlitter, Lopez, Cabrera and Berg unprotected. That would open up 15 spots. Here is my list to protect:
Szczur
Vitters
Flaherty
Abreu
Beliveau
Clevenger
J. Jackson
Lake
Searle and six others

I guess with a little creativity it might not be that bad.

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

It's a specific date - December 8th, this year. It happens at the Winter Meetings, which are usually in early December.

#10 dreese

dreese

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDekalb/Arlington Heights

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

I was thinking what to write as a read down the comments but Ron beat me to it. that sounds great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).