#1 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Let us fantasize about how the Cubs would look like in about 2-3 years.
1.DH in NL finally happens. Vogelbach pans out to Fielder type of player.
2.Rizzo is hittin 40 HRs and 115 RBIs a year.
3.Casto becomes the best SS in the game, still shaky defense.
4.Baez is a third doing decent job.
5.Jackson is a tick under Grady Sizemore numbers.
6.Garza averages 16 wins a season.(only because Im tired of all these trades so I give him an extention)
7.TWood is our 2nd starter.

Use other minor leaguers or upcoming free agents.

you fill in the rest:
2nd base
catcher
the rest of the rotation
and bullpen.

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Seriously, would we even need any other players if all things panned out like that?

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

2B: Hope that Cincinnati can't sign Brandon Phillips to an extension and get that leadoff hitter they've been looking for (I don't think Jackson will hit well for average). I believe Ian Kinsler might be a free agent in 2014 so he'd make sense especially considering how much money Texas has wrapped up in other players.
C: Same w/ St. Louis and Yadier Molina, though the 2013 free agent class at C looks loaded with Napoli, Ianetta, and Martin hitting the market. I'd be okay with any of those guys if Castillo doesn't work out.
Rotation: Hope that SF prefers to spend on offense rather than extend Matt Cain. This is also going to be a deep class so they should be able to at least some good mid-rotation starters.
BP: There's some decent arms in the system. Samardizja as the closer if he doesn't work out as a starter.

#4 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Seriously, would we even need any other players if all things panned out like that?

The Yankees had that type of roster and they still couldnt do it.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

No, not *this* year. But that type of roster (assuming league averages at the rest of the positions) should get you into the playoffs every year. And that's where we want to be.

But I'd add Matt Cain to that list, and what's-his-name from that Yanks at 2B. That's all. I'd even take Koyie Hill behind the plate with that lineup.

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

No, not *this* year. But that type of roster (assuming league averages at the rest of the positions) should get you into the playoffs every year. And that's where we want to be.

But I'd add Matt Cain to that list, and what's-his-name from that Yanks at 2B. That's all. I'd even take Koyie Hill behind the plate with that lineup.

Cano.

#7 npnovak

npnovak

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Twitter:@npnovak

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm kinda hoping the Cubs can get Felix Hernandez in a couple years. I doubt he'll be with the Mariners past his current contract b/c they need a rebuild, plus he'll still be like 27 when he reaches free agency I think. We'd just have to hope that whoever trades for him for a deadline/offseason deal can't extend him. In FA, Cubs have a good chance.

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:54 AM

If the Yankees let Cano walk I want whatever Cashman's smoking. Phillips is more likely because the Reds don't have unlimited money and what they do have is going to be spent to keep Votto.

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

He's actually getting up in years, and will be in his 30's by the time he becomes a free agent. I could see the Yankees potentially passing on giving him a mega contract, with ARod's deal still hanging over their heads.

#10 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

I'm not sure I'd go outside the organization for second base. In 2-3 years, Zeke DeVoss should be close to the majors, and if he can hit major league pitching he's also the new lead off hitter. In the mean time, especially given that line up, the Cubs could limp along with Barney or Logan Watkins.

#11 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

I'm not sure I'd go outside the organization for second base. In 2-3 years, Zeke DeVoss should be close to the majors, and if he can hit major league pitching he's also the new lead off hitter. In the mean time, especially given that line up, the Cubs could limp along with Barney or Logan Watkins.

I'm glad that I'm not the only fan of DeVoss around here. I watched him play at the U a few times, and he's a pretty exciting player with a great skill set for a second baseman if that's where he sticks. Between Torreyes and DeVoss, the Cubs could already have their second baseman of the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).