Dan0mite

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:@stordl01
  • LocationFort Wayne, Indiana

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

Let me preface this by saying this is 100% pure speculation and rumor at this point. I am not saying this is happening or that there is any merit. This is simply an interesting turn of events.

So I don't usually fall for rumors or make posts about them but this one is intersting. Chuck Lamar the assistant GM for the Phillies resigned today. The Internet, primarily twitter is blazing with speculation that this could be a sign he is coming to the Cubs.
@BarryRozner has had a lot of interesting info in this regard. Thoughts? I don't know anything about Lamar so I don't know if this would be a good fit.

#2 Dan0mite

Dan0mite

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:@stordl01
  • LocationFort Wayne, Indiana

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

Here are some of @BarryRozner tweets on this.

"As AGM, Player Development & Scouting, LaMar worked closely with Ryne Sandberg, who took his team to the playoffs, which start tomorrow."

"Scouting director Tim Wilken was special assistant to GM Chuck LaMar in TB for three years."

"Chuck LaMar was AGM to John Schuerholz in mid-90s when Braves won World Series. Current Cubs assistant Greg Maddux? Yes, he was there."

I know all this is speculative but the timing is odd due to the Phillies heading to the playoffs and his Cub connections are interesting also.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:37 AM

Does seem an odd time to resign

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 durbo55

durbo55

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:durbo11
  • Facebook:John Durbin Jr.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:50 AM

I like the fact that there is some strong cubs roots here. If he indeed will be the next GM I think cubs fans would pleased for the most part. Would also nice to see him keep guys like Maddux and bring back Sandberg next year. Wishful thinking at this point I guess.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:53 AM

Most of my thoughts are in this morning's post. LaMar would seem an odd choice, given what we believe Ricketts to be looking for (up-and-coming, numbers-oriented, current GM). I wouldn't go apeshit if it was LaMar, but I wouldn't be particularly excited, either.

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

Most of my thoughts are in this morning's post. LaMar would seem an odd choice, given what we believe Ricketts to be looking for (up-and-coming, numbers-oriented, current GM). I wouldn't go apeshit if it was LaMar, but I wouldn't be particularly excited, either.

I agree, he's not much of an upgrade over Hendry in my opinion. He definitely isn't the complete change in philosophy that Ricketts was promising. I do think that if Hendry trusts Pat Gillick as much as it seems that this is a very real possibility though.

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

Here's an unflattering take on LaMar's time as GM, vis a vis the non-drafting of Albert Pujols: http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6189583

In short, the Rays had a scout who was all over Pujols for a long time, but the Rays' brass - including LaMar - couldn't see Pujols as a legitimate prospect.

It sounds like more than it is because it's Pujols (lots of teams missed on him for lots of rounds), but it's an interesting story, nonetheless.

#8 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

David Kaplan wrote something that pretty much laughs at anybody that thinks LaMar had a shot at the job. He also obviously reads Bleacher Nation, he took many of his points directly from Brett's post and from the comment section. Get your own material David.......here's the link if you're interested http://www.csnchicag...790&feedID=8487

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).