#1 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

So what are the terms of the actual contract? In mostly curious about MLB than any sport but I want to see the difference.

I would think that teams would protect themselves from bad contracts or injuries more that what it seems.

why arent most contracts incentive deals?(would mean more sense bearing injury or production)

Is there anything that happens when a player gets hurt?

Also why isnt much contract restructuring in MLB like there is in the NFL?

IS there a difference between contracts ie.(MLB, minor leagues, first time draftees)

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

I know that teams take out insurance policies on players with large contracts. They are quite expensive but do pay if a player is injured for an extended period. The Detriot sports talk radio did mention that the payment and savings the Tigers got from Victor Martinez injury helped them sign Fielder.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

I know that teams take out insurance policies on players with large contracts. They are quite expensive but do pay if a player is injured for an extended period. The Detriot sports talk radio did mention that the payment and savings the Tigers got from Victor Martinez injury helped them sign Fielder.

So insurance covers injuries. So the Mets are actually "saving" money because of Santana who has been out for a year?

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

So insurance covers injuries. So the Mets are actually "saving" money because of Santana who has been out for a year?

Yes there are insurance plans that cover major injuries, so it is possible the Mets collected something on Santana but not every player have full insurance coverage. Not to mention I hear they are incredibly expensive. So I won't say they saved money, the report with the Tigers was that it helped clear up a few million to get them to the winning bid.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

1. Incentive based contracts (at least that pay out due to X number of homers hit, having X number of SB, a BA above .XXX, etc...) are not allowed in MLB. The best you can do is kick in options and bonuses for awards and games played, games finished, etc...
2. The MLB and NFL are flipped when it comes to with whom the power lies. In MLB the player's union has a tremendous amount of power which is why you saw some of the changes to the CBA this year. Also, you don't see restructuring because they are all guarranteed contracts. In the NFL, I think most of the contracts are non-guarranteed and beyond that there are few that are 100% guarranteed. In the NFL, all of the power lies with the owners, and until the players get smart and sit out for a full season or two, it will remain there.
3. There is a difference but I don't know enough to articulate it and any further typing would be filled with guesses.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Here is a good article about player insurance

http://www.baseballp...articleid=13011

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

1. Incentive based contracts (at least that pay out due to X number of homers hit, having X number of SB, a BA above .XXX, etc...) are not allowed in MLB. The best you can do is kick in options and bonuses for awards and games played, games finished, etc...
2. The MLB and NFL are flipped when it comes to with whom the power lies. In MLB the player's union has a tremendous amount of power which is why you saw some of the changes to the CBA this year. Also, you don't see restructuring because they are all guarranteed contracts. In the NFL, I think most of the contracts are non-guarranteed and beyond that there are few that are 100% guarranteed. In the NFL, all of the power lies with the owners, and until the players get smart and sit out for a full season or two, it will remain there.
3. There is a difference but I don't know enough to articulate it and any further typing would be filled with guesses.

One thing on incentives - you can't have them based on production. Only games played/finished/started/whatever, and on awards/accolades. I forget the reason, but it's a collectively-bargained limitation. Probably don't want players trying to hit a homer to reach an incentive.

Learned that in my Sports Law class. I remember something from law school!

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

There's a standard MLB player contract floating out there somewhere, which is the starting point for all contracts. I'm sure if we dug, we could find it.

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

There's a standard MLB player contract floating out there somewhere, which is the starting point for all contracts. I'm sure if we dug, we could find it.

http://mlb.mlb.com/p...cba_english.pdf

Starts on page 222. This is the standard contract for the previous CBA.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/p...cba_english.pdf

Starts on page 222. This is the standard contract for the previous CBA.

Excellent. Good find.

#11 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

There's other stuff too, some players get an allotted amount of tickets for away games, luxury box for home games, guarantees for hotels (somewhat similar to a musical act's rider), and sometimes some really weird shit: http://www.mentalflo.../archives/53446

#12 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

There's other stuff too, some players get an allotted amount of tickets for away games, luxury box for home games, guarantees for hotels (somewhat similar to a musical act's rider), and sometimes some really weird shit: http://www.mentalflo.../archives/53446

Hah, sucks for John Lackey.

#13 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hah, sucks for John Lackey.

That just gave a little more confidence about Theo

#14 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

Yeah between that and the Curt Schilling "don't get fat" clause he had two pretty brilliant contracts on this list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).