31 replies to this topic

#1 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

I just spent 30 minutes talking to a fellow Cub fan who listed Darwin Barney as a top-3 reason to still be excited about the 2012 season. I've also heard/read many other Cub fans harp on his good qualities and their excitement about him moving forward.

What's with the lunatic wing of the Cub-fandom that is excited about a player who never got above a .711 OPS at A, AA, or AAA and posted a .666 OPS last season?

He's easily the weakest link from last year's team, and that's saying a good bit.

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

People tend to overvalue "contact hitters" (high batting average, low strikeouts) without looking at secondary stats, such as lack of runs, rbi, home runs, obp etc

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have fought this battle many times, and, while I have an explanation for the irrationality, I have had no luck in convincing anyone of it.

#4 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

I have fought this battle many times, and, while I have an explanation for the irrationality, I have had no luck in convincing anyone of it.

You have an explanation for the irrationality of the Cub fans? or their argument? Either way, I'd like to hear.

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

You can't stop Scrappy love, these are the same people that believe Campana should be a starting outfielder and get angry when you tell them he will be fighting for the 5th OF position. For someone reason people lose their rational minds when a player appears to have hustle. The best I can figure its the desire and need for people to root for a underdog.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

I think you summed it up well, MG. I'd be happy to see Barney succeed because he seems like a genuinely good guy. But I don't think he's a genuinely good baseball player.

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

You have an explanation for the irrationality of the Cub fans? or their argument? Either way, I'd like to hear.

Ha. The irrationality - definitely not the argument.

It comes from the confluence of a number of things: he hit exceptionally well in Spring Training and April, which was many folks' first impression of him, and it lasted throughout the year, particularly among folks who, understandably, stopped regularly watching games; he's a smaller guy playing second base (a number of fans can relate to him); he's a super hard worker, a smart player, and a genuinely likable guy.

Take it all together, and you've got a guy whose legend exceeds his performance.

He's a utility infielder, and a good one. He's not a starter.

#8 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

I think "Scrappy Love" was a pop hit in the 70's...that's all it is....Cub fans(and I am sorry here, but many times white people) love to overvalue what they see as grit, hustle, "playing the game the right way", etc, etc, etc....I think Michigan Goat wrote his thesis about this...just think of:

Reed Johnson, Doug Dazcenso, Ryan Theriot, Tom Waddle, Augie Ojeda, Kurt Rhambis, 75 percent of all hockey players, Larry Bird(although he had immense talent to go with it) probably Tony Campana.....

"Scrappy Love"

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

Barney has problems and isn't the best hitter around. I do think he's a fun player to watch though, and I can see why some people list him as a favorite. I appreciate the things Barney does on a baseball field, and I don't have any unreasonable expectations. Maybe that's why I don't really mind people saying Barney is one of their favorites. At least we don't have to listen to people tell us how great Aramis Ramirez is anymore.

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

He's the Cubs version of Brandon Inge

#11 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Except that Barney plays pretty good defense, and he hits about 40 or so points higher than Inge. As a matter of fact, Inge is a complete suck hole of a player, Barney has some value to the team, just not as much as some fans think.

#12 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Except that Barney plays pretty good defense, and he hits about 40 or so points higher than Inge. As a matter of fact, Inge is a complete suck hole of a player, Barney has some value to the team, just not as much as some fans think.

I could be misremembering, but I thought Inge was an all-universe defender.

#13 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

I could be misremembering, but I thought Inge was an all-universe defender.

I could also be misremembering. I just thought I remember hearing about how poor he was playing at third this year when the Tigers were rumored to be talking about trading for Aramis Ramirez.

#14 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

Inge, before 2011, was a significantly better offensive player than Barney. And his legendary defense at 3B (which was circa 2006/07) is only above-average now.

King - batting average is a terrible definition of a hitter's value to a team...might want to pick some different stats to justify your thoughts. Just saying.

#15 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Inge has Michigan Scrappy Love, he came up through the Single A Team here in Grand Rapids and was an all-star one year (he was in the HR derby and hit 0 dingers). It wasn't till this past year that the scrappy love started to faulter. He is still a local favorite because of all the reasons scrappy players are loved.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).