Series Internetz-view: Cubs vs Reds 4/18/14 - 4/20/14
miggy80 - Apr 18 2014 10:05 AM
Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:
Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:
Bleacher Nation Posts
- Enhanced Box Score: Reds 8, Cubs 2 – April 20, 2014
Today, 04:21 PM
- Pre-Gamin’: Reds v. Cubs (1:20 CT) – Lineups, Broadcast Info, etc.
Today, 10:25 AM
- This Week In The Minors: (Very) Early Storylines
Today, 09:10 AM
- Mike Olt Showing Off His Power and Other Bullets
Today, 08:05 AM
- God’s Benevolence Watch: Javier Baez Could Be Back Today (UPDATE: He Is!)
Today, 07:15 AM
Upcoming Calendar Events
CAMPANA VS. BARNEY (IN A STEEL CAGE MATCH!)
Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:08 AM
- At 24 Campana hit .319 at AA. Barney never hit over .300 in his entire Minor league career(ok, so he did hit .299 once)
- Campana consistantly had a better minor league OPS.
- Campana bats left-handed, always a novelty on a typical Cub team.
- Realistically they are both utility players on good teams(or still in the minors) but Campana does have one Elite skill, his speed, so of the 5 MLB tools, Campana does at least have one in which he is far above the MLB average skill level.
Look, as I said, they are fringe MLB players, I would just be willing to argue that if you had to start one of them, Campana would produce more wins.
In a perfect world(AKA no Alfonso Soriano)...you put Campana in left and lead him off, play Jeff Baker at second, and I say you are a better team.
Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:29 AM
Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:32 AM
Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:30 PM
Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:40 PM
If I knew their lines were going to be .260/.300/.330 for Barney and .280/.330/.350 for Campana, however (each of which is plausible), I might change my tune.
Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:56 PM
Long term, though, I don't see where Campana would get regular playing time. If LaHair is hitting, he should get the majority of the starts in left when Rizzo comes up, not Campana. That would move Campana back to pinch hitting and pinch running duties.
Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:11 PM
Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:23 PM
On the other hand, Campana usually bunts for a base hit, which is a different skill from the sac bunt and probably not measured in the contest. Odds are, if the ball stays fair, any bunt Campana puts down will result in a rushed throw to first. Going down in the first round may not hurt his chances much at all.
Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:14 PM
Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:51 PM
If it matters, Kevin Goldstein on Baseball Prospectus once said of Barney, "He'll never be a star, will rarely start, but Barney could play a decade in the majors."
Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:05 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).