TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

When Dick Tidrow walks through the mailroom, the mailroom becomes the front office.

#17 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

He is in charge of scouting; he's bound to visit the farm teams at some point (probably fairly often).

And I bet he scouts potential draft picks himself as well (most of them do), especially the local ones. That might be another easy access method.

But then, since this is Dick Tidrow, the prospects probably just come to him.

#18 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Makes me wish the local high school had some stud pitcher with a wicked arm. 35 minutes from AT&T, he'd be here all the time.

#19 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

I don't have a list of top high school prospect handy right now, but I do have BA preliminary high school Top 25 teams.

You close to Fresno? Clovis West HS (ranked #17) apparently has a RHP/OF who has signed with Vanderbilt and a SS who has signed with UC Santa Barbara. Any Vandy signing is probably worth scouting.

If you head to the foreign lands of Southern California, there are teams with good college signees in Santa Ana, Orange, and Studio City at least.

Or, probably the best bet, would be to keep on eye on the news out of Las Vegas. Bishop Gorman is, again, loaded and include at least one potential first round pick (Joey Gallo). And it's in Vegas. Seriously, how can any scouting director on the West Coast NOT take that excuse to write off a trip to Vegas as a business expense? Often the local writers get wind of high level scouts and front office types coming in well in advance. You might just get lucky.

#20 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Close to Fresno? Good GAWD, man, heavens no! Even Dick Tidrow wouldn't make a drive to Fresno worthwhile. Well, maybe....

I'm about 35-ish minutes south of SF, right snug up against the Pacific Ocean. Preeeeeety much as far (due) west of you in MD that one can get and still be in the lower 48.

I'll probably take in 2-3 Giants games this summer, so I'll have to do my Tidrow-stalking on the premises.

#21 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

I think a sting operation is your best bet. You have to become the top prospect, and get Dick to scout you.

#22 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

I think a sting operation is your best bet. You have to become the top prospect, and get Dick to scout you.

You'll need an elaborate disguise. I recommend a giant mustache. It's the sixth tool.

#23 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Well, then I am well and truly fucked.

#24 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Any Vandy signing is probably worth scouting.

That's no lie. My sister lives not too far away from Vandy, and I've been to a few games whenever I go down to visit her. They are insanely good. Pretty sure the last game I was at, they had like 20 or 25 guys taken in the draft that year.

#25 rbaker08

rbaker08

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:@rmbaker08
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Any Vandy signing is probably worth scouting.

That's no lie. My sister lives not too far away from Vandy, and I've been to a few games whenever I go down to visit her. They are insanely good. Pretty sure the last game I was at, they had like 20 or 25 guys taken in the draft that year.

Funny you guys mention that. I graduated from Auburn University (also in SEC), and am familiar with Vandy baseball. You are correct, they are incredibly good and have been for years loaded with MLB talent. Although they are a young team this year, they have already been swept in 2 series this year and are 1-6

#26 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

The Cubs recently let a Vandy player go for nothing...

#27 rbaker08

rbaker08

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:@rmbaker08
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Ryan Flaherty... He was a beast at Vandy for two years

#28 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

The only upside to that decision is that he's now with Baltimore, so I might get to see him play. I actually had him in a class I TA'd for one summer. Ryan Flaherty, David Price, Pedro Alvarez, a guy who was taken in the NBA draft, and a couple of football players were all in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).