#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:12 AM

Cubs Fact:

Because of his smooth and efficient batting stroke, Hall of Fame leftfielder and longtime Cubs player Billy Williams earned the nickname "Sweet Swinging Billy Williams".
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

And because of his renowned and aggressive interest in pork products, former top lefty starter David Wells earned the nickname "Ham Licking David Wells."

#3 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

as a 9 year old at spring training in '78....you could just walk up to the cages outside of the field and the players would be right there hitting...Billy yelled at me for trying to take one of the batting cage balls that was caught in the net....he was also smoking, and had a girl on each arm as he was working with some of the Cubs minor leaguers.....

a crushing sight to a 10 year old....

#4 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

I was also crushed by my hero. I had a chance to be a grunt for my brothers add agency at Walter Paytons house. In a private behind the scenes situation Walter Payton was a much different man. I can't remember ever feeling so odd in my life. The pedestal that I had put him on when I was younger crashed and burned. To this day, I am still a huge fan, but it made me realize I like him because of the athlete he was, and not who he was as a person.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

That new book on Payton was not flattering. Honest, I think, but not flattering. He's still the greatest running back to every play the game, and I choose to remember his on-the-field greatness over his personal life. That's why I liked him in the first place.

#6 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

I agree, I will not read it. some things in life are better not being made public. I am, and always will be a big fan of him. He is still a big part of who I am, if that is possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).