#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Yeah, I know... it's crazy, but every year, about this time, I start getting excited for the season to begin. I get almost desparate to start seeing some games, game results, box scores and standings. Of course, unfortunately, the excitement USUALLY wears off very quickly when within a few weeks the Cubs are dropping in the standings like the balls at Soriano's feet. HOPEFULLY, not this year!!!

But, as I type this, I'm thinking that the pre-season games are quickly approaching... this Sunday, in fact! Ooo rah! Of course these games a TOTALLY meaningless, and as the Cubs drop games, especially those infamous split-squad games, I quickly rationalize by reminding myself that these games are TOTALLY meaningless... On the other hand, if they are doing "well," it's definitely uplifting. I always look at those meaningless exhibtion standings and look at how their record compares to the White SUX and that hopefully also buoys my spirits, as well.

Counting down the days until the regular season starts. That is usually a little anticlimatic, though, especially because I'm usually on vacation that first week of April (spring break for the kids, you know), and typcially I have a hard time getting updates, as we are usually very busy and sometimes are out of communication range. (cruises, Disney World with NO cell phone service inside most attractions) This year, I have a feeling that it will be even more frustrating as we will be in Spain.

I am still getting anxious though... let's get this season going!!!!!!

#2 subtle

subtle

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Twitter:great_strangini

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

I remember last year when DJ LeMahieu hit a walk-off home-run. It was an awesome moment and one my favorite highlights of Spring Training, even though I knew that one home run wasn't going to be season-changing for the Cubs or career-changing for LeMahieu. I don't see any thing wrong with getting excited about Spring Training games. You get to see a lot of different players and get to see match-ups against teams and players that the Cubs don't see much of during the regular season. The little moments in Spring Training are as much fun to me as anything we see the rest of the year.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

I remember last year when DJ LeMahieu hit a walk-off home-run. It was an awesome moment and one my favorite highlights of Spring Training, even though I knew that one home run wasn't going to be season-changing for the Cubs or career-changing for LeMahieu. I don't see any thing wrong with getting excited about Spring Training games. You get to see a lot of different players and get to see match-ups against teams and players that the Cubs don't see much of during the regular season. The little moments in Spring Training are as much fun to me as anything we see the rest of the year.

Little did we know that would prove the high point of the season...

(I kid. Mostly.)

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

My favorite part of spring training is getting to see the kids play. I wonder if MG will warm up with some ST Game Threads? We need to practice our F-bombs.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

My favorite part of spring training is getting to see the kids play. I wonder if MG will warm up with some ST Game Threads? We need to practice our F-bombs.

Maybe for the WGN games?

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

Maybe for the WGN games?

Maybe indeed

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Shit yeah.

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Shit yeah.

You clearly need the practice.

#9 hawkcub

hawkcub

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationN.E. Iowa

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Some of you will probably laugh at me but I like when ind. tickets go on sale. It gives me another sign that the season is close and I can plan when I'm going to Wrigley. Yes I'm one of those annoying people from Iowa that floods Wrigley field in the summer. :P Been doing 5 to 6 games a year for years (usually all in the same week).

Usually I go for games that aren't in huge demand so I can get them (but have been to one Cubs/Cards series which was fun). This year I'm scrapping that and going for the friday and Saturday BoSox games (along with A TON of other people) plus the Tiger series beforehand. Yeah I know I probably could get tickets for the Tiger series cheaper if i were to buy through the secondary market closer to the game. But it's nice to have tickets in hand if you're traveling 5 hrs.

Looking at Stub Hub even the BoSox games aren't ridicilous right now.

#10 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Before the ability to order on the internet became viable, I used to love individual game ticket sale date too. I have never been able to afford season tickets, so getting there early and getting the games we wanted was always a huge event.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).