#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Admittedly, I was none too thrilled when I first heard that Dale Sveum was on the Cub's short list to replace Quade. After I went through the "Who's he?! ... Oh yeah.... THAT guy.." throught process, my next thought was, "a first time manager? Awww... c'mon... get REAL... who 'ya crappin'?!?" Sure, the Cubs have gone with the Big Name / High Profile managers in recent hirings... Dusty Baker... Lou Piniella.. which got us no where, though Baker's first year could've and should've ended with better results... maybe even the WS!

But then as I started reading and learning more about the guy, I started thinking that maybe he was a great option afterall. The word was that he was somewhat hard-nosed and was all about fundamentals (wow, we needed THAT), establishing accountability and enforcing it (YES! the Cubs definitely were lacking there!).

As the choices narrowed down to, and finally arrived at Sveum, I was drinking the proverbial Cub Blue flavored Kool-Aid.

As the Spring Training unfolds, I am liking MOST of what I am seeing and hearing. As one example, I think Sveum's idea for the bunting tournament was a stroke of genius! Bunting is an underated, but valuable skill that the Cubs have been missing. In the past, the number of successful bunt attempts has been embarrassingly low, which probably explains why the number of attempts have been few and far between. The tournament made bunting practice fun and increased the moitivation, as well as sneaking in the importance of the bunt.

Now that Sveum in entrenched in the camp, I am sensing a change of approach. He seems to be taking on more of a "let's be friends" attitude with the players, rather than taking the disciplinarian role. I believe the team needs that discipline and someone in place to hold them accountable to standards that are set fairly high. I've seen enough little league-esque play from the Boys In Blue to last me the rest of my lifetime. Last year, there were FAR too many silly base running errors, fielding errors, mental lapses, half-hearted attempts... I could go on and on, but I think everyone could make their own list of hundreds of mistakes.

Can, and more importantly will Dale Sveum be the manager that we need?! I have my fingers crossed....

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

I remember Dale as a player. Yes, I honestly believe he will be a difference maker. I am going to hold him to his word about fundamentals. I am tired of managers coming through here giving lip-service to fundamentals during spring training, then not following through.

So far, I like what I see.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Dave H

Dave H

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLombard,IL

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

I like what I have seen so far. Dale seems to be chumming with his players yes but, he does need to get a feel for his team. You can attract more bees with honey kinda thing. I think he will hold his team accountable. Bunting tourney is a great way to have yet show fundamentals. I like his work with Starlin already. It will take a little time in ST but this seems to be the right direction.

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It HAS happened before." - Lou Brown

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I like what's going on so far. The attitude the players are putting off tells me that they are sold on the new regime. Svuem did interim for the Brewers, so he's not really a first time manager. He seems to have a pretty good feel for the team and what it was doing wrong the last couple of years, so he's got my hopes up.

#5 Boilerup

Boilerup

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

It seems there is more coaching of fundamentals than we have seen in a long time. It might take a few years but I think this staff is doing things the right way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).