Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Who should the Cubs target this offseason: Pujols or Fielder?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

As much as I would love to see the faces of Cardinals fans if Pujols was signed to the Cubs, I think that Fielder fits better with the Ricketts family's new direction for the team. Fielder is younger than Pujols, he will definitely be cheaper to sign, not to mention Fielder would bring a lefty power bat to the lineup, which the Cubs sorely need.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

Between those two I would say Fielder as well. I am tired of seeing old men with long contracts that carry them to Social Security age, (I'm looking at you Mr. Soriano).
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Fielder if I had to choose.. he's younger, probably cheaper, a lefty, and more likely to leave his team..

Having said that, I don't think either guy is leaving their current team.

Milwaukee has a good thing going right now and can own the central for the next couple of years.. especially if they go deep in the playoffs, I see Fielder staying.

I think there's a snowball's chance in hell of Pujols coming over..

#4 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

I don't think Fielder will be staying in Milwaukee, they just committed a ton of money to Braun and Corey Heart, not to mention they probably will want to spend the rest of their money on Gallardo Grienke and Marcum. So unless Fielder decides to give the Brewers a HUGE hometown discount he probably will not be playing in Milwaukee next season.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#5 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

yeah, I'm sure he could give a bit of a discount to them but really, I thought he'd be a goner unless the Brewers made a huge run in the playoffs... now, I'm thinking they might..

Something just tells me the Brewers will realize they could own this division if they want to spend the money... also, they most likely won't have the Yanks, Red Sox or Phillies bidding to drive his price up. Really the Cubs and Angels may be the only teams able to really offer more.. The Dodgers and Mets are in such financial trouble, the Yanks, BoSox and Phils already have top 1B's, so it could be the Cubs vs. Brewers in a bidding war..

But do any of us think the Cubs will offer Fielder a ton of money and years??? To me, it's impossible to know, we don't know if Ricketts will approve that big spending since he hasn't owned the team very long or really given us any indication on the matter.

The new GM could decide to invest money over the next few off seasons on other areas and give LaHair a shot? It's so hard to know without a Rickett's track record to go by and while not knowing who the GM will be..

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

Milwaukee has a good thing going right now and can own the central for the next couple of years.. especially if they go deep in the playoffs, I see Fielder staying.

Milwaukee literally sold the farm to give them a two year window and with Prince it was really a one year window. Both Marcum and Grenkie (what they gave up their entire farm system to get) are FA after next year, and there is no way the Brewers can afford the contracts they have already signed + Fielder + Marcum + Grienke. They are a small/mid- market team and don't have the revenue to spend like the top teams and Fielder and Boras understand it is this year or bust for Fielders chance at a title in Milwaukee. If the Brewers could sign Fielder to an extension, it would mean they could not sign or extend another top player and the Brewers would not be able to fill out a competitive roster with everything they would have invested in Fielder and Braun.

I hope the Brewers go on a deep run and even win the WS because I see how fall they are going to fall in the next two years and love it when a team goes all in and actually wins the ring, but everyone understands the Brewers have been all in since this off season and it will only go downhill after this. Prince will not be a Brewer next year because it will give him the best chance going forward to win a championship.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#7 Tom Zoro

Tom Zoro

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

Pujols only if he signs for 5 years or less which is unrealistic so probably fielder.

#8 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

If I'm forced to sign one of the two, Im taking Fielder, who should be worth about the same as a declining Pujols over the next 6 years or so

#9 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

Milwaukee literally sold the farm to give them a two year window and with Prince it was really a one year window. Both Marcum and Grenkie (what they gave up their entire farm system to get) are FA after next year, and there is no way the Brewers can afford the contracts they have already signed + Fielder + Marcum + Grienke. They are a small/mid- market team and don't have the revenue to spend like the top teams and Fielder and Boras understand it is this year or bust for Fielders chance at a title in Milwaukee. If the Brewers could sign Fielder to an extension, it would mean they could not sign or extend another top player and the Brewers would not be able to fill out a competitive roster with everything they would have invested in Fielder and Braun.

I hope the Brewers go on a deep run and even win the WS because I see how fall they are going to fall in the next two years and love it when a team goes all in and actually wins the ring, but everyone understands the Brewers have been all in since this off season and it will only go downhill after this. Prince will not be a Brewer next year because it will give him the best chance going forward to win a championship.

Don't you think they would want to retain Fielder and one of those pitchers though? I'm aware of their contract situations, I just believe they will try to keep Fielder and without the Yanks/Red Sox involved to drive up his price, I think they'll have a better shot at keeping him.. especially if they win the NL this year.

#10 Bails17

Bails17

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMiddlebury, IN

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:20 AM

There will be no home town discount for the Brewers with Boras as his agent.

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:21 AM

I'd gladly take either one on a really ample five-year deal.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:46 AM

I hope the Brewers go on a deep run and even win the WS ...

What? WHAT?

You want the Brewers to win the World Series? I'd rather the Cardinals win the Series than the Brewers (and I realize I may have to turn in my 'real Cubs fan' card for saying that). The mere thought of the shit-eating grin on Ryan Braun's champagne-soaked face is enough to make me almost lose my breakfast.

#13 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

I hope the Brewers go on a deep run and even win the WS ...

What? WHAT?

You want the Brewers to win the World Series? I'd rather the Cardinals win the Series than the Brewers (and I realize I may have to turn in my 'real Cubs fan' card for saying that). The mere thought of the shit-eating grin on Ryan Braun's champagne-soaked face is enough to make me almost lose my breakfast.

Brewers have been Wrigley North until this year and I'm always a fan of mid-market teams winning over the big spenders (unless it's the Cubs). In the NL central I'll take the Brew over the Cards, Reds, Astros not to mention that they represent beer... Tough to complain if a team named after beer wins the WS.

Seriously, THE MUTHERFING CARDS I think your getting too much sun or your crops have turned.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#14 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

Brewers have been Wrigley North until this year and I'm always a fan of mid-market teams winning over the big spenders (unless it's the Cubs).

Agreed.

In the NL central I'll take the Brew over the Cards, Reds, Astros not to mention that they represent beer

But but but! ::sputter:: ::hyperventilate::

Seriously, THE MUTHERFING CARDS I think your getting too much sun or your crops have turned.

Well, it ain't the former, as I live on the coast under perpetual fog, but you might be right on the latter.

I guess that I'm more used to the Cards winning the Series (they've actually played in 5 WS in my lifetime, winning twice). But you'd rather see Braun's jerk-off smile over LaRussa's smug grin?

#15 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

Got to go with the Goat on this one. I'd cheer for the Tehran Terrorists before the Cards.
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).