Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Who should the Cubs target this offseason: Pujols or Fielder?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

Brewers have been Wrigley North until this year and I'm always a fan of mid-market teams winning over the big spenders (unless it's the Cubs).

Agreed.

In the NL central I'll take the Brew over the Cards, Reds, Astros not to mention that they represent beer

But but but! ::sputter:: ::hyperventilate::

Seriously, THE MUTHERFING CARDS I think your getting too much sun or your crops have turned.

Well, it ain't the former, as I live on the coast under perpetual fog, but you might be right on the latter.

I guess that I'm more used to the Cards winning the Series (they've actually played in 5 WS in my lifetime, winning twice). But you'd rather see Braun's jerk-off smile over LaRussa's smug grin?

I'd prefer Braun and LaRussa have a black box over their face during games, but I'd prefer having to see Braun's douchebag face e every single day vs. the Cards ever having success. Time to get some new crops buddy

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#17 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

Braun looks like one of the Jonas brothers..

#18 Baseballet

Baseballet

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

Roll the dice with LeHair or keep Pena for another year, until a first baseman becomes available at a better value. Fielder or Pujols would take to much payroll off the table that the Cubs need to use to address their biggest problems: terrible pitching; the worst fielding team in the NL; and they're the slowest team in the NL. Those problems are colossol and will require all our payroll to handle.

Adding Fielder would be like adding a first class roof to a house with a rotting foundation.

#19 LARRY

LARRY

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

If the Cubs aren't going with a youth movement, definately Fielder instead of Pujols

#20 TFelt

TFelt

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

If we don't get either, what about James Loney? I think the Dodger's have an option on him, and they are in shambles. If they're going to keep Kemp, Kershaw, and Ethier they have to save some money somewhere. Loney obviously has no power, but he's only 27. And maybe he can pick up some power with age. The only reason I would even consider this is because we have to go after some pitching, and by pitching I mean quality starters.
"Did you just yell America?"

#21 Doctor_Blair

Doctor_Blair

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:Doctor_Blair

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

Comments:
If the discussion is limited to Fielder or Pujols, I think the Cubs would be better off with Fielder. Signing Pujols to even a five year contract feels a lot like the Soriano deal. He's decent now but declining, and would want tons of Money. Fielder still has some life in him.

If the discussion is "Who at first base?" I say sign Pena for another year, develop the talent we have and go from there.

In regards to the Brewers winning the World Series - I don't know if it's like this everywhere (I'm in Nebraska...) but the Cardinals fans I'm acquainted with seem to hate the Brewers as much as they do the Cubs. Which makes me say "Go Brewers" simply because it pisses them off. And, well, beer... Enough said.

#22 Sparks

Sparks

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

I'd concentrate on pitching, and use LeHair at first. I'd prefer a better fielder than Fielder, and Pujols will be too expensive for too many years. I would not try to resign Pena.

Go Brewers! for the World Series. I was raised a Cardinal fan---Until I learned better at about 10 years old. (My Mom was a Cardinal fan from the "Gashouse Gang" era. She loved Harry Carey--- when he was the Cardinal's announcer.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).