MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

So Peyton will be released by the Colts and as an Indianapolis native it's a sad moment to watch. I always thought he would retire in blue and white and have an epic celebration when he finally retired, but now the future legacy of Peyton appears to forever be tarnished

I was in high school during the Jeff George experiment and was able to buy tickets to the Hoosier Dome for $1 during halftime. The stadium was always empty and the city honestly did not care about the team, most adults hated the taxes that were instituted to build a dome that housed an inferior team.

And then they drafted Peyton and football changed.

Living in Indy, I got to listen to extended interviews with him discussing the mind of the QB and realized he was more than a player- he was a visionary, a surgeon and the QB position has never been the same.

So as he leaves Indy I wish him the best but will as be sad that he didn't finish as a Colt.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Will be weird to see him in another uniform.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Will be weird to see him in another uniform.

Tragic but his health is still in question and that's a large reason he is being cut. It's possible that he may not get approval to play, in which case this is even more heartbreaking. He could have retired in glory as a Colt.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

He'll still retire in glory and go into the Hall of Fame as a Colt, one of these days. When you think of Joe Montana, what jersey is he wearing? Manning is going to be the same way.

I'm still hoping the Colts are able to resign him on a new one or two year incentive heavy deal that would allow Luck to learn from him. That's not likely, I know. I'm also in the camp that would like to see him retire while he still has his health and not risk that neck somewhere else, but if he is going to play with three (or four?) neck surgeries, I'm glad it will be behind a better offense line that the Colts have. Letting Manning go to another team will be painful. Watching Manning, as a Colt, be carted off the field on a stretcher because his line blew a coverage and wondering if Manning will ever walk again would be worse. But it doesn't look like he's going to retire, so we hope for the best.

But regardless of where he plays in 2012, in 2016 or 2017 he'll be back in Lucas Oil for the festivities as the Colts do everything from unveil a statue to a name a street after the guy. I don't think this tarnishes anything long term. He saved the Colts for Indianapolis, put professional football on the map across Indiana (including in the rural southwest part where I grew up), enabled that new stadium to be built, and has been a huge part the city for a decade. He knows, though, and has said a number of times that he can separate business and personal. Leaving the Colts is business, but his love for Indy is personal. Long term, I don't think he'll mean anything less to the city than he does today.

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Luke I agree and I hope your right but if Manning walks away from this bitter he may not want to be the hero Indy wants. I hope he returns in glory, I hope and expect Peyton to be like Montana is his legacy with a team, and I hope he stays healthy but this is not ending the way Indy dreamed it would end.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Luke I agree and I hope your right but if Manning walks away from this bitter he may not want to be the hero Indy wants. I hope he returns in glory, I hope and expect Peyton to be like Montana is his legacy with a team, and I hope he stays healthy but this is not ending the way Indy dreamed it would end.

If I remember corretly, originally Montana was pretty upset when he left San Francisco.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

It IS a somewhat sad day to see Manning leave the Colts. I've never been a big fan of his, but you can't deny he has been good (understatement) and he WILL be a first-year HOFer.

Personally, I don't think he should play again... it's simply not worth putting your neck on the line (err... sorry). With FOUR neck surgeries under his belt (err...)... you know what I mean, it just isn't safe for him to continue playing.

I DO think it's safe to say that he will never play in a Colts uniform again. I have serious doubts that he will play ANYwhere again, but his medical team DID clear him to play (that was announced a few weeks ago). I'm pretty sure that some team will sign him in the near future, most likely with a much smaller contract loaded with performance-based incentives to cover their a$$, and unless they are looney, NO guaranteed contract!!! (with the Bear's miserable O-line, I sure hope that Manning isn't lured to Chicago!!)

I'm also guessing that Archie will have to go to the press - probably today - to voice his displeasure... (ohh ..PUHLease!)

#8 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

So Peyton will be released by the Colts and as an Indianapolis native it's a sad moment to watch. I always thought he would retire in blue and white and have an epic celebration when he finally retired, but now the future legacy of Peyton appears to forever be tarnished

I was in high school during the Jeff George experiment and was able to buy tickets to the Hoosier Dome for $1 during halftime. The stadium was always empty and the city honestly did not care about the team, most adults hated the taxes that were instituted to build a dome that housed an inferior team.

And then they drafted Peyton and football changed.

Living in Indy, I got to listen to extended interviews with him discussing the mind of the QB and realized he was more than a player- he was a visionary, a surgeon and the QB position has never been the same.

So as he leaves Indy I wish him the best but will as be sad that he didn't finish as a Colt.

Honestly I am happy to see him leaving the Colts franchise. The only teams that I hate more than the Colts are the Cardinals, the Cowboys, and the White Sox. However there is a special place in hell for the Irsay family. No allow me to explain... I am from Baltimore, once the home of the Colts franchise... And the Irsay family didn't just take football from Baltimore, they took a legacy with them... They took the history of one of the most storied franchises in the game, they tried to take the legacy of Johnny Unitas and of Lenny Moore... So F**K the Colts! and F**K Jim Irsay! And I hope Payton Manning wins a superbowl with whichever team signs him (as long as he doesn't go to the Redskins... We don't want another aging QB... but thats a whole other issue lol)
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#9 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

He will truly be missed by everyone. For people that think the local Indianapolis media drove him out of town, that is just ludicrous. Manning was an aging quarterback who had brought joy and passion to what was a previously lackluster football town. I couldn't help but think of Theo Epstein's quote about being with an organization for 10 years (or however long) is a long time and sometimes it's best to just move on for a fresh change of scenery. I think Manning and Irsay both realized this was the case. Manning had too many question marks, no matter what he or his medical team cleared him to do. The Colts realized that they had a patchwork offensive line that wouldn't be conducive to Manning and his health concerns moving forward. Now it seems that most of the receiving core will be leaving as well, which gives the Colts even more problems to deal with once the offseason starts.
To me, a young kid who grew up in southwestern Indiana during Manning's prime years, Manning was the man who made Indiana passionate about football during a time when the Pacers were struggling. Manning was a class act both on and off the field (open relationship with his wife was consensual). He was very philanthropic to the city, and I see a statue going up the day he does retire from the NFL.

#10 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

He always was my favorite QB(i hate brady). I would hope for him to retire because of the neck. I dont know if he has kids but he has to think about that. I feel sorry for him that as good as he was he only got one ring. and he did some funny commercials too.

#11 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Glad that Peyton Manning is the anti-Favre. Press conference was very tough to watch and went by very quickly for a 22 minute presser

#12 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Not a Peyton Manning or Colts fan, but I always dislike when a team lifer is let go right before the end of their career. From what I understand, Manning's neck is fine and he has been cleared in that regard. The only issue is getting the nerve reaction back in his shoulder and arm, which I have heard is progressing a lot better lately. I think he's still got a few pretty good seasons left in him. It will suck having to watch him QB for the Dolphins. They have some of the most annoying fans I've ever been around, and if Manning comes here and plays well they will be insufferable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).