Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

At 49 years old the "crafty" (I hate that term) lefty is trying to make a comeback. What are the odds that he makes the Rockies.
A few tidbits:

Rookie year with cubs in 1986.

His first year he made $60,000. The most he made in one year was $8 mil.

At age 30 he only had 6 wins, he now has 267.

He has pitched a shutout in four decades.

His fastball is right around 80 mph.

His father-in-law is Digger Phelps.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

The question I love on Moyer: Hall of Famer? Looking at the numbers, alone, doesn't quite get him in. But what about the route? Does it help him?

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

The question I love on Moyer: Hall of Famer? Looking at the numbers, alone, doesn't quite get him in. But what about the route? Does it help him?

I really can't see him in the HOF. Longevity I think actually hurts in this instance. What would some of the pitchers numbers be if they played until they are 50 (Moyer will be 50 in November).

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

I really can't see him in the HOF. Longevity I think actually hurts in this instance. What would some of the pitchers numbers be if they played until they are 50 (Moyer will be 50 in November).

The thing with Moyer is that he definitley has inflated stats from playing for 24 years. And in those 24 years he hasn't been overly spectacular. For his career has only 267 wins with 204 losses, an ERA of 4.24, and 2400 strike outs. Could you imagine what Justin Verlander's stats would look like if he played for 24 years??
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

The thing with Moyer is that he definitley has inflated stats from playing for 24 years. And in those 24 years he hasn't been overly spectacular. For his career has only 267 wins with 204 losses, an ERA of 4.24, and 2400 strike outs. Could you imagine what Justin Verlander's stats would look like if he played for 24 years??

But you're missing the underlying question: could a guy like Verlander pitch effectively enough to merit a roster spot in his mid-40s? Or is Moyer special?

#6 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

But you're missing the underlying question: could a guy like Verlander pitch effectively enough to merit a roster spot in his mid-40s? Or is Moyer special?

That is true. The fact that Moyer has been able to pitch for as long as he has really does say something about him.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Not if they keep his innings where they have been for the last 3 years. He has averaged 238 over that span and 223 over the last 5. Most guys can't hold up with that abuse for the long haul.
So, are you saying the fact that he could still get a roster spot into his grandpa age he should be considered a HOF inductee? I think it is a great story but I don't think the fact that he has played a long time at a mediocre (a little harsh maybe a bit better than that) level should be a driver in the HOF.
A side note he has a kid that was drafted by the Twins in 2010.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Not if they keep his innings where they have been for the last 3 years. He has averaged 238 over that span and 223 over the last 5. Most guys can't hold up with that abuse for the long haul.
So, are you saying the fact that he could still get a roster spot into his grandpa age he should be considered a HOF inductee? I think it is a great story but I don't think the fact that he has played a long time at a mediocre (a little harsh maybe a bit better than that) level should be a driver in the HOF.
A side note he has a kid that was drafted by the Twins in 2010.

Oh, I'm not saying it. I don't necessarily think he's a Hall of Famer, and I certainly don't think he's a Hall of Famer solely because of his unique longevity.

I'm just wondering, at what point does it enter into the discussion? What does it mean to be a Hall of Famer, anyway?

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

I could be wrong but I think it means your really really good and not just really good.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

The only way he can get the HOF is by getting 300 wins which means he means he has to play at least 3 more seasons.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#11 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

Also consider the inflated offense in the era he's pitched in. I don't think he is a Hall of Fame player, but he has had a fantastic career and it is amazing that he is still going.

#12 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

"At age 30 he only had 6 wins, he now has 267"
Where did you get this from? By my count he had 42 wins at age 30.

If he pitches until he's 50, I would consider him a HOFer. But only because of his longevity and continued effectiveness into his 40's. He only had two or three really good years, and has never even been considered the best pitcher on his own team. He is unique, but not outstanding.

#13 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

If he somehow gets to 300 ( which I think is very unlikely) it will be interesting to see if the debate continues since 300 is an automatic for most as is 3000 hits and 600 HR.

Speaking of does anyone thinks Jim Thome is debatable for the HOF? If he didn't make it to 600 I don't think he would be a near lock.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#14 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

"At age 30 he only had 6 wins, he now has 267"
Where did you get this from? By my count he had 42 wins at age 30.

If he pitches until he's 50, I would consider him a HOFer. But only because of his longevity and continued effectiveness into his 40's. He only had two or three really good years, and has never even been considered the best pitcher on his own team. He is unique, but not outstanding.

Yeah, I should have changed hat when I heard the correction but I got busy at work and forgot about it. I got it from the Dan Patrick Show. They later corected themselves but not until after my post. I believe he was an All-Star in 2003.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#15 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

I hope that he makes it for one reason: he's the only guy still out there who is older than me!
Gods don't play dice with the universe, they are the dice of the universe: our job is to figure out how many sides and dice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).