Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Would you be Ok with the Cubs Rebuilding?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hangman

Hangman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Like the title says are you ok with The Idea of the Cubs doing a rebuild next few season?

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:47 AM

I think it would probably only take one season, but yes I'm fine with that.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:34 AM

It depends on your definition of rebuild. If rebuild equals not spending money on big name FA and trading everybody for prospects so that the Cuns field a AAA team next year then my answer is HELL NO!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 Fearbobafett

Fearbobafett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

If rebuilding is going to be ink at least a Fielder/a solid SP, then ride out 2012 to get the rest of the bad contracts off the books, then yes. If you are saying a full rebuild - NO way.

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:34 AM

If rebuilding is going to be ink at least a Fielder/a solid SP, then ride out 2012 to get the rest of the bad contracts off the books, then yes. If you are saying a full rebuild - NO way.

That I agree with. We sign Fielder and 1/2 starters, let Ramirez walk, try to trade Sori for anything and then spend on 2013 so that 2013-15 is playoff bound.

Oh I fear the Fett, I fear anybody that says "my backpack got jets"... Great handle.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

I'm very on board with a rebuild, even if it takes more than one year. I think, given the Cubs' resources, it shouldn't take more than one year, though. Let Ramirez and Pena walk. If Dempster doesn't want to be a part of a crappy, young team in 2012, let him walk, too. Save some money this year, play any kid who has any kind of reasonable chance of being a starter down the road.

And then spend big on pitching in 2013.

#7 LARRY

LARRY

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

I'm all for a total youth movement. How bout LeMahieu at ss and Castro at 3b. Then my buddy can stay at 2B

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

I'm very on board with a rebuild, even if it takes more than one year. I think, given the Cubs' resources, it shouldn't take more than one year, though. Let Ramirez and Pena walk. If Dempster doesn't want to be a part of a crappy, young team in 2012, let him walk, too. Save some money this year, play any kid who has any kind of reasonable chance of being a starter down the road.

So what FA moves would you make this year?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#9 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

I'm all for a total youth movement. How bout LeMahieu at ss and Castro at 3b. Then my buddy can stay at 2B

If you referring to Barney, we might be worse at 2B than this year, pitching seems to have figured him out. Keep Castro at SS and see how he improves defensively next year. LeMahieu will be considered for 2B or 3B, but I doubt he'll be looked at SS.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#10 LARRY

LARRY

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

Yes Barney at @2B, making an adjustment to what the pitchers have found out about him. I don't want to give up on him just because he has slipped after a hot start. Castro makes sense at 3B just like ARod's move made sense. Actually, I have no idea if LaMahieu can handle SS.

#11 Hangman

Hangman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

Yes I am saying not signing Fielder, but let me give you an alternitive Kendry Morale from what I been hearing on the radio he may be non tendered. He is a risk but he would cost a 1/10 of what Fielder would cost. Not to mention Morales is a vry good defensive 1B, which Fielder isn't.

Also the Cubs are going to lose 90 games this year and most of the players (like Ramirez, Pena and Dempster its their choice). The Cubs need major over haul, if those player leave only 2 maybe 3 position players would be starter for a contending team. That would be Castro, Soto and maybe Barney, the rest are on the bench on a contending team.

#12 Doctor_Blair

Doctor_Blair

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:Doctor_Blair

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

Even if they choose not to rebuild in 2012 it seems like pitching is still going to be a problem in 2012. I don't have any data that suggest this, but because the FA market for pitching is kinda crappy for 2012 I don't see how they'd shore up the starting pitcher rotation. That's going to make 2012 tough by itself.

It seems like 2012's mission should really be to prep for 2013.

#13 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

Yes Barney at @2B, making an adjustment to what the pitchers have found out about him. I don't want to give up on him just because he has slipped after a hot start. Castro makes sense at 3B just like ARod's move made sense. Actually, I have no idea if LaMahieu can handle SS.

Why do you think Barney's April (one month when there wasn't a book on him) is the real Barney, and the subsequent five months are just him "slipping"?

I genuinely hate to keep beating on the guy, but that latter five months - that's the real Barney.

#14 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

So what FA moves would you make this year?

If there were any chance to get Fielder or Pujols on a five-year deal, I'd be on board with that (because it's not about 2012, it's about 2013 through 2016). Otherwise, I'd pick up a pitcher whom I thought would remain a consistent, decent mid-rotation option for the next several years (a guy like Buerhle, though not necessarily him). I'd consider Yu Darvish if he's posted.

That's about all I'd explore for 2012 on the free agent market.

#15 T Wags

T Wags

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

I'm absolutely all for a full blown rebuilding year. We all know there's not a very good shot of this team contending next season so i want to see us use next year to find out who really has a future with this club. If i could field a team in 2012 with the current players in the organization this would be my lineup and pitching staff:
1. SS - Starlin Castro
2. 3B/LF - Blake Dewitt
3. CF - Brett Jackson
4. 1B - Bryan LaHair
5. C - Castillo/Clevenger
6. RF - Tyler Colvin
7. LF/3B - Ryan Flaherty
8. 2B - D.J. LeMahieu

Starting pitchers:
Matt Garza
Ryan Dempster (if he wants to stay)
Cashner/Samardzija
Randy Wells
Rusin/Coleman/Searle (Best performer in ST gets the shot)

Bullpen:
Carlos Marmol
Kerry Wood
Sean Marshall
Cashner/Samardzjia
James Russell
Blake Parker
Jeff Beliveau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).