Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Brush With Greatness - I once saw a Cub player at ...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LARRY

LARRY

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:59 AM

I'd like to hear about your encounters with Cub players, away from baseball, in other words, not at or around a baseball related setting.
  • For example, I once attended an afternoon game at Wrigley with friends, and immediately thereafter went to Waveland Golf Course with them, to play a quick nine holes. Waveland is a nine hole course on the lake, directly East of the stadium. Yes, it was a good day. And it was a beautiful day, so the wait at the first tee was a long one. But a twosome showed up who went directly to the front of the line. As Brett would say, that twosome was Ivan DeJesus and Manny Trillo. True to form, DeJesus popped his tee shot up to the left, and Trillo sliced his to the right.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

One random: In the Spring Training the year before Lou Piniella was hired (Dusty's final year), I walked past Joe Girardi (who was beginning his only year managing the Marlins), and, on an impulse, stepped in front of him and said, "the Cubs need you, Joe." He said nothing but "hello," smiled, and walked away.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

One random: In the Spring Training the year before Lou Piniella was hired (Dusty's final year), I walked past Joe Girardi (who was beginning his only year managing the Marlins), and, on an impulse, stepped in front of him and said, "the Cubs need you, Joe." He said nothing but "hello," smiled, and walked away.

You sure you didn't say "I need you Joe, I need you so bad"... Creeper!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

I've never met any Cubs, but I met Da Coach at Wrigley a few years ago. It was completely random, and I'm sure I blabbered something incoherently to him, but I really don't remember. He was actually pretty cool, shook our hands, talked with a few fans for a little bit, signed an autograph, baptized a baby, and married a few people. It was kind of like meeting the pope.

#5 dreese

dreese

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDekalb/Arlington Heights

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

I didnt meet a player but its still pretty cool. When I was younger my family took me out of school to go to a cubs game and we were 5th row behind the cubs dugout. We got there early and Sosa was playing catch with somebody else and my Dad started yelling hey throw it here and when Sammy was done warming up he did and i got the ball!

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

A few years back I had a sudden, jolting memory (*cough*cough*flashback*cough*cough*) of going to a game with my uncle when I was younger and getting Ryne Sandberg's autograph on a ball... and I have no idea where it is.

It was around the same time that my mom met Steve Garvey in a restaurant and got his autograph for my brother and I. Of course, it being Steve Garvey, I can only assume he was hitting on my mom.

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

A few years back I had a sudden, jolting memory (*cough*cough*flashback*cough*cough*) of going to a game with my uncle when I was younger and getting Ryne Sandberg's autograph on a ball... and I have no idea where it is.

It was around the same time that my mom met Steve Garvey in a restaurant and got his autograph for my brother and I. Of course, it being Steve Garvey, I can only assume he was hitting on my mom.

A flashback or a vision? Maybe the universe is telling you who your father REALLY is?... its okay my Mom once at lunch with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in Milwaukee when he went by Lew Alcindor.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#8 dreese

dreese

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDekalb/Arlington Heights

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

my uncle passed down his baseball autographed by Harry Carey

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

One time, I met a famous Cubs blogger.

:ph34r:

#10 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

So, did Levine sign an autograph for you?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

So, did Levine sign an autograph for you?

I signed an autograph for him.

He asked what the hell I just gave him, and quickly scurried away.

#12 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

Oxymoron

#13 Laura

Laura

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

Rick Sutcillfe came in for dinner with his family at the restaurant I was working for, several years ago. He agreed to let me come out & meet him, but I was so awe-struck, I could only stare wide-eyed & nod my head. (I'm guessing it resembled Ralphie finally meeting Santa in The Christmas Story.) I was only able to mumble that I was from the northwest suburbs, and his wife told me how much she loves shopping at Woodfield. He signed an autograph for me and I went back to work, completely thrilled that Rick Sutcliffe liked one of my desserts (although he probably felt obligated to say that).

Also, Goose Gossage's son was a server at another restaurant I worked at here, and Goose would stop by often to say hi (and play golf).

#14 Glenallens One Homer

Glenallens One Homer

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

My siblings all worked for this one jewelry store which had a location in Lincoln Park, so one day in 2005 I was working with my brother down there (since I was 14 all I did was wipe down the glass cases and sweep the floor). It was like February after Valentine's Day so it was pretty slow business until suddenly Mark Prior walks in and starts looking for a watch. My brother was very cool and collected (I assume that, it being in Lincoln Park, he wasn't the first celebrity to walk in) but I was doing everything I could to not just openly urinate myself in the front of the store. This was by far the most starstruck I've ever been and it makes me feel so silly when I think about it now. If it happened today I would have to restrain myself from crying over my crippling Prior depression.

#15 BRAAAIN

BRAAAIN

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

Totally sold Ryan Dempster a Luchador mask right after the sweep of 09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).