#1 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

I am perplexed by the possibility of Mather making the big league team and leaving someone like Campana off. Can someone make a good argument why Mather deserves a roster spot?

#2 Ben in Nebraska

Ben in Nebraska

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Twitter:@TheRealBenBrush
  • LocationOutside Omaha, NE

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Aside from the fact that Campana just got his first spring training hits the other day and Mather is raking?

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

The best I can offer is that the Cubs are hoping Mather can actually play in the season like he's playing now, which would make Jeff Baker an easily movable trade chip. If that's the plan, I'm pretty much totally on board, and can see the wisdom given the likely state of this year's team.

I'm not sold on Mather (Campana would probably get that last bench spot if I were making the decisions), but it's close enough that I'm not too bothered by it.

#4 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Campana can play 1 defensive position at an average level if throwing is included in the conversation, and that's LF. He cannot hit for power or average. His ONLY asset to a major-league club is late inning pinch runner. That is not a good use of a bench spot.

Mather isn't very good historically, but at least he can play multiple positions pretty well and can hit a late-inning mistake for a homer as a pinch hitter.

#5 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Aside from the fact that Campana just got his first spring training hits the other day and Mather is raking?

...both in Spring Training.

#6 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Campana can play 1 defensive position at an average level if throwing is included in the conversation, and that's LF. He cannot hit for power or average. His ONLY asset to a major-league club is late inning pinch runner. That is not a good use of a bench spot.

Mather isn't very good historically, but at least he can play multiple positions pretty well and can hit a late-inning mistake for a homer as a pinch hitter.

The Cubs already have a utility player named Jeff Baker that can do all those things that you listed about Mather. Why have two players like that. If Baker wasn't on the team and it was strictly between Mather and Campana, sure, give Mather the nod because he's more versatile. But Campana's speed, to me, is more valuable especially given the fact that we have an excellent utility player already filling a roster spot.

#7 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

The best I can offer is that the Cubs are hoping Mather can actually play in the season like he's playing now, which would make Jeff Baker an easily movable trade chip.

Why not try to move Mather if he keeps up his hot streak?

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Eh - Campana isn't a butcher in center field (he's Juan Pierre - mediocre routes, good make-up speed, terrible arm), and most prognosticators have him up around a .325/.330 OBP. I'm very skeptical of that, but if he could get on base at that clip, while offering game-changing (and I don't use that term lightly) speed, I think that's a decent 25th man, especially in April and May.

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

The best I can offer is that the Cubs are hoping Mather can actually play in the season like he's playing now, which would make Jeff Baker an easily movable trade chip.

Why not try to move Mather if he keeps up his hot streak?

Sure, why not try - but if you're another team, do you want the flash in the pan who might keep it up, or the guy who's been a great bench guy for multiple years in a row?

I'm assuming the Cubs are not in competition when they make this move. Given that Baker would have more value, and is a FA after the season, might as well move him, not Mather.

#10 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Eh - Campana isn't a butcher in center field (he's Juan Pierre - mediocre routes, good make-up speed, terrible arm), and most prognosticators have him up around a .325/.330 OBP. I'm very skeptical of that, but if he could get on base at that clip, while offering game-changing (and I don't use that term lightly) speed, I think that's a decent 25th man, especially in April and May.

If Campana could have a .330 OBP...then sure. But like you, I think that's very unlikely...especially in a late-inning PH role.

I understand people comparing Mather to Baker, but the difference is that Mather can play all the OF positions plus 1B/3B. Baker is really a corner guy who can play a below-average 2B. That being said, I do think Baker is the better offensive guy, even with his horrendous splits.

#11 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

I do think Baker is the better offensive guy, even with his horrendous splits.

Or awesome splits, depending on how you look at it.

#12 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

I do think Baker is the better offensive guy, even with his horrendous splits.

Or awesome splits, depending on how you look at it.

Bingo. Baker should be in the lineup against lefties every single time. And that's really the only time he should play.

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

The Cubs already have a utility player named Jeff Baker that can do all those things that you listed about Mather. Why have two players like that. If Baker wasn't on the team and it was strictly between Mather and Campana, sure, give Mather the nod because he's more versatile. But Campana's speed, to me, is more valuable especially given the fact that we have an excellent utility player already filling a roster spot.

Actually we have two utility players. It's just that one of them is starting at second.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Here is what I like about the whole Mather saga. It keeps the dream alive that you can make the team because you earned it in spring training. Maybe it's the literature teacher in me but I like to think it sends a subtle message to the team and fans- players can play their way onto the team. As far as who Mather is replacing (Campana) it is nothing to worry about, IF Mather continues hitting off the bench with the power and average he is showing now isn't he better than a good Campy? Or is it scrappy love about Campy's speed that makes people want him over anyone? If Mather struggles then yes Campy takes over, but I'd like to see what Mather does first. A player that can play multiple positions, hit for power, and have a decent OBP is better than a player who is really, really fast (insert Zoolander reference). Give him a chance he's earned it and that a narrative that is important to baseball. A player earning his spot. Although I understand that is as unquantifiable as chemistry but damn it baseball needs good narratives... For the kids.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#15 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Campana has a pretty nice story too - surviving Hodgkin's Lymphoma as a kid and undergoing 10 years of treatment to get it in remission and then making a MLB team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).