hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City of the Plains

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

http://espn.go.com/c...ket/mostbeloved

some real head scratchers on here (harry over ryne?), some outrageous (rose over santo?!?), some infuriating (pippen over ernie banks? WTF!)
AND sweetness is getting killed by Jordan
clearly not the Chicago grew up in...

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Really, the rankings make sense. 3 of the 4 in the semi-finals won titles and Jordan won more titles than God himself.

How many titles have the Blackhawks won? It is entirely possible that Jordan has won more titles than the other major Chicago teams combined.

#3 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Ugh, I threw up a little bit with that Pippen over Banks. What a travesty.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Obviously this poll was primarily voted on by kids who still believe basketball is the greatest sport.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Really, the rankings make sense. 3 of the 4 in the semi-finals won titles and Jordan won more titles than God himself.

What? are you crazy? I see you live in Iowa, are you from there? Im not criticizing you, Im just looking for a possible explanation for the disconnect.

I guess if titles alone define both greatness and stature as a Chicago sports icon, then you'd be right. But it doesn't. Especially not in Chicago. If titles were exclusively what sports and sport "fandom" were about, we'd be Yankees fans... and God forgive me for typing this, packers fans...ahhhh my fingers are now burning.
I cant argue with MJ getting through the bracket with ease. He may be the greatest player of all time and definitely the greatest Bull. I love the man for his contributions to Chicago Sports.
But, i dont care if pippen played second fiddle on thirty championship teams, he was in no way as good a basket ball player as Ernie was a baseball player, nor would he ever be as important to the Chicago sports community, regardless of what his ring collection looked like. Thats why i'm dissappointed in the so-called fans who voted. It looks more like the NCAAB bracket of someone whos never watched a a single college basketball game and simply picked every winning team by their ranking number. Sometimes those people get lucky and pick the champ, but they usually dont get much right along the way.... and in this case Chicago "fans" have definitely not got it right.

when there were 6 teams, the hawks won a couple championships... 4 total if you go back to the original 6. Bears won championships at a good clip before the invention of the Superbowl... '21, '32, '33, '40, '41, '43, '46, '63 and of course '85. Chicago sports goes back along way man, that's what makes Chicago fans the greatest: an understanding and an appreciation for our history.

#6 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

thanks for the link, I kind of agree with lots of the votes. People who are into this kind of thing simply aren't old enough to remember the older ones. I am happy with the final, and I'm also glad to see that it wouldn't let me vote for Walter twice. I wish I would have seen it sooner.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

What? are you crazy? I see you live in Iowa, are you from there? Im not criticizing you, Im just looking for a possible explanation for the disconnect. I guess if titles alone define both greatness and stature as a Chicago sports icon, then you'd be right. But it doesn't. Especially not in Chicago. If titles were exclusively what sports and sport "fandom" were about, we'd be Yankees fans... and God forgive me for typing this, packers fans...ahhhh my fingers are now burning. I cant argue with MJ getting through the bracket with ease. He may be the greatest player of all time and definitely the greatest Bull. I love the man for his contributions to Chicago Sports. But, i dont care if pippen played second fiddle on thirty championship teams, he was in no way as good a basket ball player as Ernie was a baseball player, nor would he ever be as important to the Chicago sports community, regardless of what his ring collection looked like. Thats why i'm dissappointed in the so-called fans who voted. It looks more like the NCAAB bracket of someone whos never watched a a single college basketball game and simply picked every winning team by their ranking number. Sometimes those people get lucky and pick the champ, but they usually dont get much right along the way.... and in this case Chicago "fans" have definitely not got it right. when there were 6 teams, the hawks won a couple championships... 4 total if you go back to the original 6. Bears won championships at a good clip before the invention of the Superbowl... '21, '32, '33, '40, '41, '43, '46, '63 and of course '85. Chicago sports goes back along way man, that's what makes Chicago fans the greatest: an understanding and an appreciation for our history.

Ease up there, I knew when I typed that the Bears probably had a couple hundred football titles under their belt that I was not aware of. I am from Iowa and I am a Cubs and Bulls fan, not a Chicago sports fan. So I could probably only name 3 people from the 85' Bears off the top of my head.

ESPN is the home of the casual sports fan, the guys and gals who want to check in on the news and scores but don't care much that Tony Camapana packed on tons of muscle in the offseason or that he is in a battle for 5th outfielder with Joe Mather. I bet if Ernie, Ron or Ryno had won a title, they probably would have made it out of the first round.

The poll is who is the most loved athelete - not who has done the most, not who was the best athelete, but who was loved the most.

#8 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Nice poll and cool idea, but expected results. ESPN fan base and probably a younger one at that, it leaves little surprise that they don't have much respect for the older athletes.

#9 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

What? are you crazy? I see you live in Iowa, are you from there? Im not criticizing you, Im just looking for a possible explanation for the disconnect. I guess if titles alone define both greatness and stature as a Chicago sports icon, then you'd be right. But it doesn't. Especially not in Chicago. If titles were exclusively what sports and sport "fandom" were about, we'd be Yankees fans... and God forgive me for typing this, packers fans...ahhhh my fingers are now burning. I cant argue with MJ getting through the bracket with ease. He may be the greatest player of all time and definitely the greatest Bull. I love the man for his contributions to Chicago Sports. But, i dont care if pippen played second fiddle on thirty championship teams, he was in no way as good a basket ball player as Ernie was a baseball player, nor would he ever be as important to the Chicago sports community, regardless of what his ring collection looked like. Thats why i'm dissappointed in the so-called fans who voted. It looks more like the NCAAB bracket of someone whos never watched a a single college basketball game and simply picked every winning team by their ranking number. Sometimes those people get lucky and pick the champ, but they usually dont get much right along the way.... and in this case Chicago "fans" have definitely not got it right. when there were 6 teams, the hawks won a couple championships... 4 total if you go back to the original 6. Bears won championships at a good clip before the invention of the Superbowl... '21, '32, '33, '40, '41, '43, '46, '63 and of course '85. Chicago sports goes back along way man, that's what makes Chicago fans the greatest: an understanding and an appreciation for our history.

Ease up there, I knew when I typed that the Bears probably had a couple hundred football titles under their belt that I was not aware of. I am from Iowa and I am a Cubs and Bulls fan, not a Chicago sports fan. So I could probably only name 3 people from the 85' Bears off the top of my head.

ESPN is the home of the casual sports fan, the guys and gals who want to check in on the news and scores but don't care much that Tony Camapana packed on tons of muscle in the offseason or that he is in a battle for 5th outfielder with Joe Mather. I bet if Ernie, Ron or Ryno had won a title, they probably would have made it out of the first round.

The poll is who is the most loved athelete - not who has done the most, not who was the best athelete, but who was loved the most.

yeah but, who loves scottie f'n pippen?
sorry, the whole thing got me pretty worked up. i tend to embrace tradition in many things, especially sports, where many people, cubs fans too, do not. i guess generally speaking im the disconnected one. i have two cars and a motorcycle that are older than me... everyone thinks im crazy for not wanting a new car. its not that im cheap, id just rather suffer than give up what i view to be "class" or tradition. it's kind of how i feel about the cubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).